1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Truss Rod adjustement on a new Ibanez SR505

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by rpangelov, Aug 30, 2017.

1. rpangelov

rpangelov

Feb 14, 2017
    Hey guys, I will appreciate some help here. I just bought new Ibanez SR505 1 week ago. Amazing bass... I am very happy with it. Anyway... when I bought it, a luthier in the shop checked the bass before they gave it to me and made some truss rod adjustements. When I came home I wanted to setup the bass the way I wanted to as I wanted to lower the action.
    So I took the manual which was in the box and I followed every step as described. I lowered the action, after that I must lower the pickup height also, as the string were hitting them if I digged more in it. So everything far everything went good!
    Yesterday when I played I noticed that I got fret buzz on the first 2 frets on the E string. Only on the E string. I tried to increase the action, but this wasnt the reason, as the the buzz continued. So I've turned the truss rod counterclockwise to loose it a little bit. I didn't turned it a lot - couple of mm and the buzz was gone. I don't hear any fret buzz yet.
    So here is my question... everything sounds and feels fine, but the only think I am not sure about is the clearance aka. neck relief. The instruction manual claims it must be between 0,3~0,5mm, but I think mine is 0,2~0,3mm. But once more... everything sounds fine, no fret buzz on any string... any fret. As I am afraid to mess with truss rod... can this be a problem ? Did I setted up the bass good or do I need to check something else?

2. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    You set it up to your liking. It doesn't buzz. There is no question to answer.

But since you're asking, truss rods are for adjusting relief on a piece of lumber roughly the size of half a baseball bat. It's pretty sturdy. The rod itself is a thin metal rod with some threads on one end. The nut is usually made of a softer metal so that if too much torque is applied the nut is sacrificed. If the nut is properly threaded onto the rod and doesn't resist adjustment all is well.

N.B. If it squeaks, quit.

3. J.D. Detroit

J.D. Detroit

Nov 12, 2015
    Detroit
    Don't get hung up on manufacturer specs. These are guidelines for the factory set up/starting point for the player.
    Set it up with whatever action you prefer. Your technique/attack and strings should determine what best works for you and the bass.

Don't be afraid of adj the truss. Watch videos and read the info posted around here.
    Once you get comfortable and confidant you'll do just fine. Learning the basics to perform your own setup is invaluable.

4. Arie X

Arie X

Oct 19, 2015
    if nothing is wrong then it doesn't need to be fixed.

ibanez specs are generally pretty good but they are a "suggested" spec. keep in mind that having a low action and low neck relief means that the whole set-up is more susceptible to environmental changes. what this means to you is a potential for more "set-up maintenance" on your end. not a big deal actually just a little more vigilance.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
  5. rpangelov

rpangelov

Feb 14, 2017
    Thank you very much guys! I've readed a lot of posts and watched lot's of video's before doing anything on my bass. At first I maintained my old Westone Spectrum also without any problems... luckily! I've heard some weird stories about broken necks because of unproper truss rod adjustment so I decided to ask here, just to be sure.
    About the low action + low neck relief will be sensitive to environmental changes is good to know! Thank you for the point. I will keep it in mind.
    The bass feels and plays more than perfect now. Really no words to describe it... I was really amazed by how low the action can be without having any fret buzz... this wasn't possible on the Westone. I guess because of better fretboard ?

6. joellay

joellay Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2018
    Thought I'd revive this thread instead of starting a new. I've had an SR505 for a couple of years now.
    Has anyone had an issue with having to do periodic truss rod adjustments?
    I had this one professionally set up with Fret work and all.

I am absolutely amazed how much the action on this bass can change over time. I keep mine in the case when not in use. I replaced strings the other day and it has added a significant amount of relief as I could see it when looking down the neck. Made it significantly less playable. So, i did several adjustments. loosen strings, clockwise a modest amount. retune and check. It took a couple of attempts before the neck felt close to its old playability. No buzz except a little on the highest registers.

Anyone have this experience?

7. Arie X

Arie X

Oct 19, 2015
    i do complete set-up's and truss rod adjustments on my wife's entire herd of basses at least 3-4 times per year and Ibanez is one of her favorites. back in Gibson's glory days of rampant boosterism they called it "seasonal regulation". Temp and humidity changes? -adjust. string gage and tension/material/construction change? -adjust. It's what one does if the player can make use of the advantages of staying on top of "regulation" and keeping instruments in top shape.

i've generally found Ibanez bass necks to be moderately flexible but responsive to adjustments when needed. that wipe-on finish on some of the SR's is only a passable moisture barrier at best vs. the ones with a full gloss finish which can fair a little better in that regard.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
  8. Bodeanly

Bodeanly Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    Midwestern weather=semiannual truss rod adjustments, at the very least.

9. joellay

joellay Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2018
    So, it sounds like a normal thing.
    I just haven't experienced it as much in other bases. I was wondering if the bass was more susceptible to changes due to the wood type (mahogany, bubinga and jubota) and the fact that it's a natural finish and not poly. I would have to think a polyurethane finish would change moisture exchange.