Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

truss rod adjustment and the G string

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Sean Baumann, May 28, 2003.

1. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    I just finished changing my strings on my sadowsky tokyo rj5 from the sadowsky strings to the DR fat beams. I'm having a little trouble with setting the neck relief. The neck was really really flat before, and even more so with the new strings (it seems). I'm going to set it to like .012 or so, but when I loosen the truss rod, I can get that gap on the B string, but not on the G. What's up with that? The G seems to be pretty much resting on the frets when I capo at the 1st, hold at the 21st, and measure at the 8th. I've never been good at my own setups, but it is time to learn how to do this. Is this normal?

2. Have you tried raising the saddle on the bridge for the G string? So too check the nut where the G sits before going to the headstock.. could it be worn too low?

:D:D

Merls

3. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    I don't think those would be the issue. I'm holding the string at the 1st fret and the last fret, so the bridge and nut are out of the picture. I just continued alone with my setup and everything seems ok, still not much of a gap below the G when I do that test, but no buzzing....so I won't complain.

4. No buzz... No problem! hehee

:D:D

Merls