Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Truss Rod Adjustment at Base of Neck

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by christle, Mar 26, 2004.

1. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I just picked up a 1984 Japanese Fender Precision that has a truss rod adjustment at the base of the neck. I want to dial out the relief that is in the neck and make it more flat. Having worked mostly with adjustments at the headstock I want to know which way I should be turning the rod to do this. The neck is currently bowed as if the strings were high tension. I took the neck off last night (there is no route to do this with the neck attached) and the truss rod is able to be moved easily enough. I am just unsure of which way to turn the screw.

Thanks, Dan

2. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I actually had the same issue and posted it about a month ago.

The adjustments are the same - righty-tighty, lefty-loosey.

3. christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Thanks! Just so I am clear, if there is a bow in the neck, loosening it will straighten it. Meaning turn it left. Am I right?

Dan

4. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Yes, for a backbow.

5. christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Thanks. I am on way then :)

6. Whoa there...tightening the truss rod will straighten out the board if the strings are exerting enough tension to bow it. If that's the problem, and I gather it is, you'll want to turn the truss rod to the RIGHT to remove the bow.

7. christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Already had figured that out :) Thanks for the heads up though.

Dan

8. Gray Hebb

Gray Hebb

Apr 7, 2004
    No. If there is a bow you want to tighten the truss rod. Turn to the right. Make sure you have the string on and in tune.
    Gray.

9. christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Already got it. Thanks for the note though it was appreciated.

Dan

10. DaBassman

DaBassman

Mar 25, 2002
    Oneonta, NY
    OK, I have same problem....but mine is a lefty.......just reverse the direction to take out bow?
    Do you just use a screw driver, it's not a standard hex slot like my USA Jazz.
    thanks