Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Truss Rod Adjustment: Does it matter which end of the neck?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ccyork, Nov 28, 2004.

1. ccyork

ccyork

Jan 26, 2004
    USA
    Howdy!

I'm considering purchasing a Fender 60s Classic Jazz Bass, but I have a question regarding the truss rod adjustment. Should I count it as a negative that this bass has the adjustment at the body end of the neck?

I currently have a Mexican Standard P-Bass, which I enjoy. It seems though that with temperature changes, the truss rod loosens up, so I wind up adjusting every few weeks. I live in a cold climate so my bass sees lots of temperature changes. Do I just have a badly made instrument?

Will I regret buying the Jazz bass because I'm going to have to keep taking it apart for truss rod adjustments? What do y'all think?

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I prefer trussrod setting on the body side because it's easier to adjust but I wouldn't want to be bothered with taking the bass apart every time it needs adjustement.
    If it doesn't have a nicey groove so you can insert a key, I either pass or make one.

3. Jeb

Jeb

Jul 22, 2001
    USA
    I would count it a negative to have to remove (or loosen) the neck to make a simple truss rod adjustment. Thats a huge deal that you will live with long after the "coolness?" of the 60s classic wears off. The newer USA made models adjust from the body end too, but that rounded allen truss tool is likely the most versatile update Fender ever made to a J/P bass.

As far as your Mexi-P and frequent truss adjusts, I don't think you have a "badly made instrument" and the older it gets, the more stable I think it will become. Thats been my experience.

4. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Actually most luthiers state that the adjustment at the body end of the neck is prefered. Locating the adjustment at the headstock removes a great deal of mass from the neck and can affect the structural quality of the neck. Most luthiers that located the truss access at the headstock/peghead add what is called a Volute. It serves to strengthen the neck where the peghead begins by adding a bit of mass at that point.

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    At the body is fine, just cut the last 1/2 inch or so off the short end of the allen wrench and itll fit.

6. ccyork

ccyork

Jan 26, 2004
    USA
    Thanks for the feedback everyone. Are there any more opinions out there? :bassist: