Truss Rod adjustment on Stingray 5

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Dave Metts, Aug 28, 2001.

1. I need some help figuring out how to adjust the truss rod on my Stingray 5. When I play frets 1-4 on the A-G strings, the notes just flub out due to hitting the frets. I would assume that wheel at the base of the fretboard is the truss rod adjustment... How would I go about actually ADJUSTING it? Also, which way do I need to turn it?

The relative humidity in the room where my basses were creeped up to around 75% and it really messed my 'Ray up. I've got a very bad feeling that the truss rod may be frozen on this bass. I take it that means I'd need a new neck (which I assume will be quite expensive).

Please help!
  2. Thanks for that info, but the main question I had was about how you actually go about adjusting the truss rod. On most basses I have seen, the adjustment is at the base of the headstock and is normally just a screw that is turned by an allen wrench. On the Stingray 5, however, there is nothing at the base of the headstock, but there is what looks like a wheel with holes in it at the base of the neck.

I will be sure to be extremely careful if I adjust it at all. I'm mainly curious as to exactly how to do it on this bass.

Thanks a bunch!
  3. snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Just use an allen wrench that fits into the hole. A 3mm fits mine perfectly. A 3/32 will work too.
  4. ok, I tried sticking an allen wrench from my G&L in there and turning go

I didn't want to force it (should I have to?). I did buy the bass used so I don't have the tools to go with it (so I also can't adjust my string height at the bridge).

Any idea where I can get replacement tools? Will EB/MM be able to supply them?

Thanks a bunch
  5. snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Hey Hex,
    I agree with cruise, if at any time something just ain't quite happening right, or if you aren't sure what you are doing, just take it in to a tech. Watch him work on it, so you can do it the next time yourself. It's not worth it to experiment on something as nice as a Stingray.
  6. I would take it to a tech, but I'm in college right now and the only music store I know of is pretty sad. I don't think I'd trust those guys to even look at my bass without screwing it up.
  7. Just a quick update:

I moved the bass from the back room where it was stored, to a place with lower humidity and tuned all of the strings up a step and a half. Then I let the bass sit for a few days, and now it's back to normal!

Regarding trying to find a music store in the area to do work for me, two of the stores don't really have anyone that'll do adjustments (they sell mainly pianos or PAs, etc.) and the other one is a Brook Mays ....:rolleyes:

Edit: That was a bit ambiguous.. The bass is now back to normal even in standard tuning.
  8. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    Go to a hardware store and buy a set of allen wrenches for 2.99. One of them should fit in the truss rod adjustment wheel. The saddle screws are 1/16"

On the Stingray 5: As you look from the bridge towards the neck, turning the wheel to the right will increase the tension on the neck (straighten it out) while turning to the left will loosen it (add relief)