1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

truss rod adjustment = setup?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by dean owens, Mar 25, 2009.

1. dean owens

dean owens

Sep 23, 2008
    pittsboro, nc
    so i posted on here a few weeks ago that i got a setup but either the temp or just things shifting has caused some fret buzz. i'm just curious, could i make a slight adjustment to the neck to give it a little more relief and not do anything else? or when i give more neck relief am i going to have to do some setup tweaking?

2. dean owens

dean owens

Sep 23, 2008
    pittsboro, nc
    anyone know the answer?

3. Hi.

Take 1/4 to 1/8 turns at a time and You should be all right.

There shouldn't be anything else that require tweaking with a minor climate related adjustment.

Regards
    Sam

4. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Yep, its that time of year when the increasing temps and humidity play havoc with neck relief. You can generally drop some addt'l relief into your set-up with any major disruptions to string height and intonation.

Riis

5. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

May 20, 2008
    It's been my experience that any truss rod adjustment that is significant enough to fix either fret buzz or to much relief will also require slight adjustments to the bridge saddles to correct intonation. It's not a big deal though - slighty flat octave fretted note compared to harmonic, move the saddle forward (towards neck) a tad. Then you re-tune the string and check again. Slightly sharp octave fretted note compared to harmonic, move the saddle back. Retune that string and check again, etc.

6. dean owens

dean owens

Sep 23, 2008
    pittsboro, nc
    was hoping more like the answer t-bird gave. it's a spector and that bridge looks like it could be a serious pain in the rump. which direction do i turn it to give a little more relief in the neck?

7. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Counter-clockwise. Yeah, the balancing-saddle-blocks can be tricky. Intonation and action will at least be close after the tweak.

Riis

8. JonathanD

JonathanD

Dec 13, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    If the humidity is causing the neck to bow out of its adjusted position, a truss rod adjustment to get it back to that position will not warrant much intonation change. Double check it will a strobe tuner if you have one.

Best of luck.

9. dean owens

dean owens

Sep 23, 2008
    pittsboro, nc
    that was my thought. i figure if anything, the humidity would now make it out from it's setup.

i feel like a complete idiot in posting this... the place to adjust the truss rod is at the head. so the counter clockwise... if the bass were laying on the ground and i stood at the headstock (with the body away from me) would i turn counter clockwise? or would i turn counter clockwise if the body were the closest thing to me? basically, is the wrench/screw driver turning towards the b-string or the g-string?

sorry for being such an idiot.

10. ChiefLongDong

ChiefLongDong

Nov 18, 2008
    G

11. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Depends what hemisphere you live in.

Just kidding. If you insert the wrench at the headstock, turn it to the left / counter-clockwise / towards the G string. Still unclear? Lean to your left...that's the way the wrench should go (uh-huh, uh-huh, I like it....)

Riis