1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Truss Rod Adjustment

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by H3rEye51nRoam, Jan 18, 2005.

  1. H3rEye51nRoam


    Nov 18, 2003
    Hello everyone, I purchased a used bass a while ago that I am working on restoring. I repaired everything so far and simply need some screw sets. But I have one big problem. The neck is bowed a great deal. The E string is about a 1/4" inch away from the neck down by the body. I have no idea what type of bass it is, I have yet to figure that out. The truss adjustment is at the bottom of the neck by the body. It looks like there is an allen screw adjustment in the hole but I'n not sure. I tried various allen keys but none seemed to fit. Then I thought that you may just twist the piece sticking out w/ the holes through it. Is that simply what I do? Just curious, thanks everyone. I tried to twist it and it did move that way. Is that how I adjust the truss rod as opposed to using an allen key? Thanks. I attached a picture. Again I'd like to thank everyone for the help. Later.
  2. Looks like you've got it right. Just throw something into the hole and turn away. A few older model guitars (think early 80's) and basses use this design, and it's a lot easier than going through the head I think. The only thing is that it's not the most beautiful looking area is it? :)
  3. H3rEye51nRoam


    Nov 18, 2003
    Thanks, I highly appreciate it. I agree it's not the prettiest but much easier to use. I appreciate it. Later.
  4. EB still uses that method too.