Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

truss Rod Adjustment

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by ldiezman, Feb 15, 2002.

1. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I don't really want to keep spending $ on someone doing something I can learn to do.. SO my question is..

Which way do You turn if the neck is bowed slightly downward?

Also. my bass is a stingray 5 if that matters... I know I don't need to adjust much or turn much. but I would just like some imput. thanks guys

jim

2. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Downward? I'm not sure what you mean by downward. Is the neck actually pointing to the floor when you're holding it in the playing position?

Since I'm guessing that's not the case, think of this...bass strings pull the neck towards the bridge (also called a "bow"). Too much the other way is called a "backbow". This occurs because there's not enough tension in the truss-rod to counteract the string tension.

Also, the general rule is "righty-tighty; lefty-loosey". Hope this helps;)

3. clockwise = less space between strings & neck

counter clockwise = more space between strings & neck.

simple as that :)

4. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    If I read your thread correctly you must be getting alot of fret buzz. Anyway. Hold your top string down at the first fret, (a capo usually is handy to use at the first fret),and the last fret. Now carefully look at the 9th frett. You should have a small space between the string and the aforementioned fret(9). This is the upbow that Ram was refering to. If you have a backbow(not good) your string will hit the frets in the middle of the neck where there should be a slight space. How much space is subjective and depends on a lot of things I won't go into. The thickness of a business card is a good place to start. If you have no space in the middle of your neck between the strings and the frets(around the 9th fret or so),you need to loosen your truss rod. Thus allowing the pull of the strings to "bend the neck a little". To do this turn the truss rod screw counter clockwise(from right to left) one eighth of a turn. (Yes that is just a little bit) Give it time to settle, at least over night, and check it again. If it still show's no relief give it another 1/8 of a turn and give it another day. And so on till you get some neck relief (upbow). If you understand this, great! If not, have someone show you. There is a ton of info on this in this forum. Just go to search and type in truss rod. Which is what I should have said at the top of this thread and left it at that. There are also some great links in these threads that have detailed instructions for set up. Wheww!!!!:cool:

5. If your neck is bowed (too much space between strings and neck) you turn the truss rod nut CLOCKWISE

If you are getting fret buzz you loosen the nut COUNTER CLOCKWISE.

When adjusting the truss rod, never turn more than 1/4 turn, then let the neck "set" for a day before checking and adjusting further.

6. progplayer

progplayer

Nov 7, 2001
    and if u have a pentabuzz like me its opposite what everyone is saying :D i learned that the damn hard way!

good luck on your adjustments!

7. mgood

mgood

Sep 29, 2001
    Levelland, Texas
    My ultra-scientific aproach is to just turn the thing and measure again. If it got worse instead of better, I go turn it the other way.