Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

truss rod adjustments

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by jumbomatumbo, Dec 17, 2000.

1. jumbomatumbo

jumbomatumbo

Dec 13, 2000
    Okay. I need to know exactly what to do to adjust my truss rod. My strings are low, so i get this buzzing sound, but it's rather mild. All i need is a little adjustment. I am apprehnsive to doing this, because i don' want to change the way it plays. It is an ibanez, and i think it feels really comforatable. Mabye my next bass will be one of the ergodyne. I haven't tried one out yet, so i wanna know what everyone elses take is on them. i dont want my strings to be too high to play.

2. Got some questions for you -

1. Does it buzz on open strings?
    2. Does it buzz on fretted strings in the area of frets 1-7?
    3. Does it buzz on fretted strings in the area of fret 7 up?
    4. Does the neck show any sign of bow, either toward the strings or away from the strings?
    5. Is there anything unusual about the way this bass is strung?

These answers will help in diagnosing if you even HAVE to adjust the trussrod.

3. jumbomatumbo

jumbomatumbo

Dec 13, 2000
    it bends int his direction "(". when i have it on. so i guess that means it is too tight? i dont really understand. It only really makes the noise bad when i slap. its tuned regular, and it doesnt buzz on open strings.

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well if the action is low and it only buzzes when you slap, then it is more likely that this is down to the way you are playing than the way it is set up. I would agree with Hambone that it's quite likely you don't need to adjust the trussrod at all and if you don't understand this, it's probably best not to touch it.

But without seeing and trying the bass, it is very difficult to diagnose this type of thing - 5 minutes with a good bass teacher would probably help more than a thousand posts here! ;)

5. Yep, your bass needs adjustment but exactly how is best left to a tech with the guitar in front of him. It could be that your trussrod is beyond further adjustment. I sure couldn't tell from your description. Until you get the neck adjusted until it is either straight or near straight, you can't make an accurate judgement on the setup.

Sorry