Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

truss rod adjustmet in local store

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. J, Dec 16, 2005.

1. Dr. J

Dr. J

Aug 12, 2005
    I recently brought a high-end fender like bass into local shop and within minte and without permission tech took bowed neck off and put a large ding in pocket of mint bass. Dealer needed to deal with so be careful to set limits in local shops or you won't see you bass for many a day.

2. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    "I recently brought a high-end fender like bass into local shop and within minte and without permission tech took bowed neck off and put a large ding in pocket of mint bass. Dealer needed to deal with so be careful to set limits in local shops or you won't see you bass for many a day."

I am curious to know what kind of bass it was since you described it as a high end Fender like bass. You said the tech, without permission, took off the neck within a minute of seeing the bass. I would have thought he would try to adjust the truss rod first without taking off the neck. If the guy dented the pocket ( and presumably you were standing there as this happened ) I would have freaked out there and then. What was the outcome of this horror story?

3. Dr. J

Dr. J

Aug 12, 2005
    Sorry for delay but computer service off an on. Thanks for interest. I probably should not say name of bass since both store and maker helping out. But you are right that adjustment could have been made without removing neck, another annoying fact. No defect in manufacture, just tight fit of custom made bass. No end of story yet since bass sent back to maker. I was not there at momement since I just asked for string change. I guess I posted this since I live in a relatively small town and learned the painful lesson that if a shop is unused to a particular maker and a repair has to be done, it is probably better to send it to a shop that deals in that kind of bass. I only used Fenders in the past and hoped if someone saw this they would be make clear to a local shop not to do any work on a bass they are unfamiliar with. Thanks

4. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    Hope it all works out.....

5. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Another reason why we should all learn to set up our basses ourselves. We will not be at the mercy of "techs" in a store.

Nobody will give our basses more TLC than us.

Hope it turns out well for you.

6. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Um....

...you own a nice high end custom built bass but don't change your own strings?

I gotta be honest, the more you can do on your own, the less excuse someone else has an excuse to mess with your gear. Especially when dealing with some unknown yahoo at a local store rather than a reputable tech.

7. Dr. J

Dr. J

Aug 12, 2005
    All off these points are well taken--many thanks. I had pretty much stock fenders until now and did not give enough thought to taking responsibility for gear--brand not an excuse just a kind of bass more people are familiar with. There is a lot to learn and I hope lessons in the future less expensive. No excuse but post was meant as caution to others. I hope I have learned a lesson.

8. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Definately find a new tech, or have this one show you a bit about what he's doing, and learn to do it yourself. I save hundreds a year doing my own setups and they're in tip-top playable shape 365 months a year mostly.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Tim neglected to mention that he lives on Uranus, where the years last 365 months.

10. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Dunno about you, but where I come from, life stinks :p

Haven't slept in days Jimmy, good catch.

11. :p

Well put.