Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

truss rod ..again

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by fdiaz05, Dec 18, 2002.

1. fdiaz05

fdiaz05

Oct 24, 2002
    i posted a truss rod thread last night and got some good help. I just have one question that i couldn't get answered. When i was adjusthing the truss rod i had the strings on still and they were still in tune and i turned the trust rod to the right and i felt nothing. after some sense was talking into me i lossened all the strings and turned it a quarter turn to the right and now it feels great!. I'm just wondering if it the truss rod will break once it settles. And can the truss rod move and be adjusted when the strings are still on and in tune? ...thanks

2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    It is certainly possible, but I have never seen a truss rod break after settling.

There is no problem with adjusting the truss with the strings on the bass. Although if you are trying to tighten the rod with the strings at full tension, it will take a little bit of elbow grease.

I always secure the bass with my forearm or between my knees and use one hand to apply gentle pressure in the direction I want to adjust the neck, then turn the nut. It seems to make it easier to move and makes it less likely that you will goof up the nut by the wrench slipping.

Chas

3. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Dec 3, 2002
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    You shouldn't have any problem adjusting the truss rod while the strings are on.

Just make sure that you only go about 1/4 turn at a time, then retune the bass check it again in about 24 hours or so to let the neck "settle". Sometimes, depending on how far out of whack the neck is, if you crank on the truss rod until the neck has the desired amount of relief all at once, you may have actually gone beyond what was needed, and in a few days the neck will continue to move a little in the other direction.

Take Care,

4. fdiaz05

fdiaz05

Oct 24, 2002
    but it won't break after it settles will it? when i go back and check it it wo'nt be all ruined? that's something that happens right away and you can tell am i right?

5. Deep

Deep

May 8, 2002
    NY
    If the truss rod snaps you SHOULD hear and feel it. Also, when tightening the rod loosen your strings so there will be less tension from the strings. Then tune back to pitch so you can see how much it moved. Just do what these guys are telling you and you shouldn't go wrong.

6. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Dec 3, 2002
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    Deep is right. If your truss rod breaks, you will hear it and feel it. Believe me, it takes quite a bit to break one. More often people get too greedy with crankin' on it and strip the threads before they break one.

Just go easy, only move it 1/4 turn at a time, and you'll be absolutely fine.