1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Truss rod bottomed out

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by bobunit, Sep 22, 2008.

1. bobunit

bobunit I'm here. Now what? Supporting Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Idaho
    I have a 1979 Stingray that I had refretted recently. When the job was completed, I was informed that there was no more adjustment in the truss as it had 'bottomed out'. The relief in the neck, although not bad, is not where I would like it. So to counter this issue, I was going to put on an extra light set of strings. Sound like a yea or nay?
    My other though was to install a spacer on the truss behind the nut to give it a little more purchase since I can only assume the wood has compressed over the years, hence no more adjustment. I believe I saw this in a Dan Erlewine article, but I don't remember exactly what he used. Any suggestions?:)

2. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Yes, the small washer trick will sometimes give an extra mm or so. Just make sure the washers are just the right size before dropping them into place. If they're to large they can become lodged in the neck... you can't remove them again if you want... and then you've multiplied your problem.

3. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Yes, good advice. I've used the washer trick a number of times. It works if done right. It's important to be careful that the nut doesn't cross threaded when putting it back on or you'll bugger the threads. I also like to take a Q tip and put ONE tiny drop of oil on the threads to keep things smooth and rust free. But don't let oil drip and get into the wood. I've also used a little dab of shoe wax or furniure paste wax.