truss rod buzzing

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by BoognishMang, Jan 5, 2002.

1. anyone have experience with this?
    neck is straight, strings aren't buzzing on the frets, hear the sound throught the wntire neck.

2. What happens if you tighten your truss rod? Does the buzzing still occur? Remember when tightening what was it (damn american units! :p) 1/4" per day.

I have no idea.... lol HAMBONE!!!

3. Berme

May 11, 2001
    check the screws of your recessed truss rod, or the ones of the tuners on you headstock.
  4. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    I think its 1/4 turn a day,not 1/4".

Or was that tighten it down until it strips and then back it off a 1/4 turn??Lol j/k :D
  5. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    When I bought my Epi Jack Casady it had the same thing when I'd play around the fifth fret on the G fairly hard. Same as you, I found the sound to be coming from inside the neck... After removing the truss rod cover, I found the rod to be completely untensioned. I turned the nut until it made contact. Viola... buzzing disappearred. Hopefully it's something that simple with your axe.

6. ...well i ended up taking the neck off, and there was alot of saw dust and wood chipsin the pocket.
    i cleaned all of it up, replaced the neck, put new set of strings on (.107's), adjust the truss rod only about 1/4 turn and seems to be working fine now.
    guess the neck was rattling cuz the crap in the neck pocket...?
  7. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I can't imagine that the crap in the pocket made it buzz. If it was loose enough to buzz, I doubt it possible that the bass would have played in tune and fretted at all.

It is more likely that the truss was untensioned as mentioned above. Your 1/4 turn probably put enough tension in it to prevent the buzzing.