Truss rod channel lining?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by the feebler elf, Dec 17, 2005.

1. I'm about to move on to the neck of my first project, and I had a question I can't seem to find an answer to.

A while back, I cut apart a neck with a non-functioning truss rod, just to get a better idea of how a neck is constructed. The truss rod channel appears to be lined with some kind of material, which seems like a good idea. Do any of you line your channels? Is it a good/bad idea? Thanks!

Here's a few pics of the project -

These are a few weeks old, the contours have been carved, and I'm going to be routing the neck pocket today.
  2. parttimeluthier

May 7, 2005
    If you are using a one piece compression rod (i.e. traditional Gibson
    style) you dont need to line the channel. Instead you just slip a couple of pieces of shrink tubing over the rod or wrap it with teflon pipe tape. Iv'e even heard people using a couple of drinking straws.
    All these do is just keep any glue from getting on the main part of the rod so it does not adhere to the surrounding wood.
  3. JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    Looks solid, man! Keep up the good work.
    maybe the lining in the channel was used to keep it from rattling and making noise???? I dunno....
  4. Thanks!

That's what I was thinking. I'm going to be using a Stewart-Macdonald Hot Rod, as well as its appropriate router bit. I don't know if that combination allows any play. If it doesn't, I guess I don't need to worry about a lining.
  5. I don't know why I didn't think of that. I guess that settles it, thanks!
  6. I'm really happy with the way this is turning out, so I've decided to make this a progress thread :)

I didn't have the right size forstner bit for the neck bolt ferrules, so I'll have to pick one up tomorrow.....

And this is where it all started -

I'm planning on finishing with X coats of wipe-on poly over a couple coats of oil. Would Tru-oil work out underneath poly coats? Also, has anybody ever added color to Minwax poly for a colored finish?