truss rod - clockwise or counterclockwise

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Matthew Bryson, Dec 11, 2002.

1. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I have used the search function and found all the answers I needed except one - it's probably skipped over in most threads I read because it's obvious and evryone (but me) knows it but...

clockwise = tightening truss rod = flatter neck = lower strings

is that right??? so then

counter clockwise = looser rod = more bow in neck = higher strings

do I have it right or am I all wet?
  2. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    generally speaking you've got it right but in some rare cases the truss rod acts in the completly opposite way.

What is the bass you're trying to adjust?

3. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I recently ordered an Essex short scale bass for my daughter and I'm assuming it'll need some set up work when it gets here. I figure that it's a good one to learn on because it's very inexpensive, and the owner doesn't know what a good set up is like anyway. (;) J/K - it'll get set up right for her) A pro set up could be nearly half the purcahse price. I've made every possable adjustment to my own bass except the truss rod - I had a good pro set up done when I got it and with the stiff graphite neck I haven't had a need to adjust it. But I figure now that I'm bringing another bass into the house and I plan to pick up a J-bass copy for myself soon , both of which will be low end basses with wooden necks, I had better get familiar with completely setting up my own basses. I welcome any and all advice. I plan to proceed with caution making only small adjustments on any given day - now when they say to let the neck 'settle' for a day does that mean no playing it or just no adjustments?
  4. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    It's ok to play it while the adjustment settles in. In fact it might even make it settle in faster.

The truth of the matter is, some basses don't settle in or change very much at all after a truss rod adjustment, especially if it's a small adjustment.

I know that some people may not agree but I think it's pretty important to loosen the strings before making a TR adjustment. Especially when tightening the TR.

You may have already discovered that Fender has a very good site about set up. If not it'll be worth your time to look it up.

5. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
    If you have to ask you shouldn't be tinkering, yes I said tinkering.
  6. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Some of you responded in a way the reminded me of my brother as a child. When he didn't want to tell me something he would say "if you don't know, you don't need to know" This has always gotten under my skin because it implies (or flat out says) that one should not learn! It is the epitome of assinine statements. I re-read the linked thread and no, I do not see why I should not adjust my own truss rod if I so desire. I have been reading up on bass guitar set up and I fully understand what a truss rod does and does not do. I have basic mechanical type skills, I know how to use tools and not break things and I know what I went in a bass guitar. If you read the thread you realize I was asking to make sure that I knew which way to turn the nut to achieve the desired effect - and I did have it right. You'd also know that I wanted to make sure a $99.99 bass was properly set up - not a huge monitary risk.
    It's certainly not as if I just came on here and said "I just found a little allen nut under this cover on the headstock of my very expensive bass - I'd like to start twisting away like mad on the little sucker to see what happens, where can I get one of them little allen wrench thingies so I can start twisting?"
    I can see where you all are coming from though, how dare I come to a public forum on set up and ask a question about performing a set up. I should realise, if I don't know - I don't need to know. I learned that when I was five. Good day.
  7. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
    Do you need a hug?:(
  8. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Hey, brother, slow down.
    This is, with some exceptions, a very friendly forum. The guys who knows, like Merls, Ham and Pkr2, and several more, shares their knowledge to anybody, at any level.
    Then, exceptions are those who cannot keep their fingers off their computers, and just chime in some insults to - just chime in!

You all know what cathegory you may fall in.
    - If you're in the latter: get off! (To put it in simple words)
    - If you're in with our great moderators, keep answering.
    - And for all the rest: if you have a question and can't find enough answer through the search function - ASK and though shall have at least a few intelligent answers.
  9. I got your back Creepy. I was in the same boat as you. I knew all of the functions of the truss rod, i just didnt know which direction to turn the hex key. So thanks for asking, i am now smarter than i was five minutes ago.

As for lil bass kid, im sure you had to ask somebody the same question at one point in your life, unless you were somehow born with all knowledge of bass guitar already inplanted into your brain.