Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Truss rod cover

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Nazman, Mar 29, 2005.

1. Nazman

Nazman

Mar 4, 2005
    Dallas, TX
    I need a truss rod cover for a 1979 Ibanez Musician..anyone know where I might get one?

2. Man, that is a great DIY project! They are easy and can be made from damn near anything - wood, plastic, corian, brass, glass, phenolic, veneer, MOP, old pickguard, paper mache, leather, acrylic, polycarbonate, or just about any other decently stiff material. Just trace out a shape to cover both the hole and the screw holes and cut it out, sand or file the edges smooth, sand the surfaces smooth, paint or clearcoat, attach, play gig, pick up chicks. It's that simple!

But if you want one that is brass and deep relief engraved with "Musician" or "Artist EQ" on it like the originals, you are probably out of luck. Those basses are pretty rare.

Perhaps you could borrow one and make a silicone mold of it and use casting resin to make a replica. Use rub-on gold leaf to give it a nice metallic patina and I bet that would look pretty good.

3. Nazman

Nazman

Mar 4, 2005
    Dallas, TX
    Yep,, I figured it would be hard to find...Thanks