1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

truss rod dilemma

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by wolfmaster19, Mar 19, 2013.

1. wolfmaster19

wolfmaster19

Sep 24, 2010
    i bought a really nice neck from dhgate a month ago, nice wood, nice finish, only to discover upon delivery that the truss rod will simply slide out of the neck if i pull it...

i don't know what to make of this as the truss rod works.. i would normally think truss rods are fixed inside the neck..

so what i am wondering is, are luthiers capable of gluing the rod in place without removing the fretboard as i would like to avoid the cost of a refret in the similar case of replacing a truss rod by removing it

would that be a feasible fix?? the opening for the rod is at the heel of the neck..

2. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY Supporting Member

Is it a single round rod or does it look like this ImageUploadedByTalkBass1363735430.841150.

3. wolfmaster19

wolfmaster19

Sep 24, 2010
    it looks like the pic

4. mech

mech Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2008
    Meridian, MS, USA
    IME, that type of truss rod can come out of the neck if it is totally relaxed. Once it is installed all the way and some tension put on it, it stays in place. Easy to replace if it breaks.

mech

5. 96tbird

It's a dual action. Turn it one way and the round rod is shortened and it bends away from the square rod. Turn it the other way and the round lengthens and it bends toward the square rod. While you have it out turn the nut both ways to see what I mean.

Shove it back in and carry on.

6. wolfmaster19

wolfmaster19

Sep 24, 2010
    so it's legit ? nothing that needs fixin?

i'd still like to replace it as it has a cheap feel and look to it, i was thinking the stewmac rod but that one is 11mm high as oposed to the 7mm this one has

edit: actually stewmac's is 24" long while this one is almost 22"... would a luthier be able to drill the inside of the neck without opening it? i'm really worried that a fix of this type would end costing me alot more than what i paid for it in the first place

7. 96tbird

Legit. Maybe not heavy duty but it fits so you're stuck with it.

8. wolfmaster19

wolfmaster19

Sep 24, 2010
    thank you gentlemen :)