1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Truss Rod Fender BG 31

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by baddarryl, Nov 22, 2018.

1. baddarryl

baddarryl Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2008
    Cape Fear!
    HI all. I just got this acoustic bass. I need to adjust the truss rod and am just wondering which way to turn it. How much and if I should do it with the strings on, off, tuned whatever. The action is a little low and the neck is slightly negatively curved. I like the action and if I can get the neck straight it will play really well. Thank you.

2. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Clockwise turn, like most screws, “Right to Tight”. Tightening the rod will flatten the neck (less relief), but do it in small increments, 1/8 to 1/4 turn max, and “help” the rod by gently bending it the direction you want the neck to go, don’t count on the rod doing all the work. Don’t even attempt it until you have done a little homework on bass setup, or take it to a pro. There is a sticky thread on TB for setup questions, or watch one of the 1000 YT videos. This series is pretty good, watch all 4 segments in sequence:

3. baddarryl

baddarryl Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2008
    Cape Fear!
    Thanks