Truss rod "freeze"

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by XavierG, Mar 29, 2001.

1. Ok, so my neck is perfectly adjusted with the strings on. Now, I've taken my bass apart to refinish the body. It's been in pieces for over a week so I decided to loosen the rod a bit until I put the strings back on. Frozen! Can't adjust the rod either way - nut won't turn. I have my theory, but has anyone experienced this before?
  2. With no string tension there might be enough pressure on the truss rod nut that it seems frozen, honestly I wouldn't mess with it until you get the bass all back together. If it is an older neck with a single action truss rod it might break so den't force it.
  3. bassbrad, that was my theory as well. I sure hope that's all it is. No, I don't intend to force it - don't need the expense. Thanks.
  4. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.

When you relieved the string tesion, all the string pressure transferred to the truss rod. If you had 100 pounds of tension on the strings, you now have 100 pounds of tension on the truss rod. Don't try to turn it unless you relieve the pressure by bending the neck just like you were stringing a bow in the direction that the strings were pulling.

If you strain too hard on the nut it will wring off where the threded portion of the rod starts.

Your best bet is not to bother the adjustment.

Just as you've already decided. :)

Just wanted to throw my .02 in.

5. Pkr2, I value everyones opinion, be they $.02 (like mine usually are) or $1M. Thanks for your $.02 :)

The neck's going back on tomorrow, so I'll know then if that's all that it is (more than likely).