Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Truss rod gone bad!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by poundround, Sep 4, 2005.

1. poundround

poundround

Mar 8, 2005
    Lynchburg VA
    Well a buddy of mine borrowed my Cort Curbow for marching band(no he doesint really march). To my amazement he somehow stripped the inside of the rod. What am I supposed to do, besides make him pay for it. Can I get a new rod or what? I hope it aint trashed! :bassist:

2. Wasn't there an article like this in BassPlayer? Seems like the cheapest route would be to get a new neck.

OT: Do you know what kind of amp he uses? I also play bass in the marching band and want to know what other players use.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Take it to a shop. Hard to say if it's trashed without seeing it. There's a possibility it can be fixed, but there's just as big a possibility that it can't. And then kick his ass for touching your truss rod and never lend it to him again.

4. Franklin229

Franklin229 Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeast USA
    Second on the kick in the ass!! I have found that you can take a slightly larger size driver and tap it into the head of the Truss Rodd. Of course, any adjustments to the truss rod need to be done with the (unstrung) neck clamped down in such a way to give is a slight concave bow-to take the stress off the truss rod.

5. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I don't understand why anyone would think it ok to borrow a bass then mess with the set-up. Make him get it fixed, or at least make him guarantee that he's gonna pay for the repairs.

Then once he does pay for it, kick him in the teeth.

6. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Some friend. But, it may not be that big of a deal.

Most responsible makers use a nut on the trussrod that is of softer metal than the rod itself. That way, the threads on the nut strip rather than the rod.

You should be able to simply replace the nut. It'll be a fairly easy fix.

If the hex head of the nut is what is stripped, it should be fairly easy to remove once all the tension is taken off the neck. You might even be able to do it with the next size up hex wrench. If that is too big, I have had pretty good luck by dipping the wrench in grinding compound first. One alternative may be to cover the wrench with a layer of aluminum foil before you insert it. That might take up a little of the slack.

The nut should not be that tight without tension on it. You can further relieve it by having friend use two hands to slightly straighten the neck while you are trying to remove the nut.

7. I had a similar situation on one of my basses. The opening for the hex wrench had been stripped. I tried every technique imaginable with hex wrenches with no luck. Since I had nothing to lose at that point I tried the appropriate sized torx driver and it worked perfectly. You do have to lean on it to make sure it really grips the metal.

8. poundround

poundround

Mar 8, 2005
    Lynchburg VA
    Thanx to everyone that replied to my thread. You were all very helpful and im going to take it to a shop soon. Well first Ill see what I can do. Then im going to kick the SOB in his ass. Oh and he uses a Yorkville combo.

9. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Hey guys, I'm pretty sure my truss nut is stripped. It only needs to be loosened 1/2 a turn but I can't get it to go.

Those of you doing the foil or other tricks, are you just using that for an adjustment, or do you use the trick to fully remove the nut so you can put a new one on? Is it possible to put a new one on?

10. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA

Yes, it can be replaced, and if it is stripped slightly, that is probably the right thing to do.

Just loosen it until it comes off and install a new one.

11. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    The foil trick isn't working. I tried some flat bladed screwdrivers but none seem to be just the right size to catch. Any other ideas?