truss rod hex size

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by 44CALIBREKILLER, Jan 12, 2006.

1. hi guys,

first of all allow me to introduce myself, my name is Barry, i live in glasgow and have been playing for just short of two years.

I have an ibanez ATK400, the korean model with the J pup and am looking to have a look at the set up of the guitar as i think the action is too low.

After following various threads on this forum, i have discovered that the neck needs relief, my strings are practically flat against the frets when i test them as the gary willis guide.

I am looking for some information, i do not have an allen key for doing this as i was not provided with one as i bought the guitar. Can other owners please tell me the size of allen key i will need to make this adjustment.

Headstock reckon it is a 4.5mm, but could not confirm as the guitar is discontinued.

thanks guys in anticipation and congrats on a great forum, i have learned so much about my guitar here.

2. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Barry, I had an Ibanez SR1205 that used a 4mm allen wrench. I did have to shorten it however to get it to clear the wood near the top of the rod. I also had to grind out a bit of wood on each side of the opening in order to have room to turn the wrench. I'm not sure if your bass uses the same size, but it makes sense that it might.
  3. generally speaking, the same size should Yamaha also uses a 4mm. my carvin uses a special wrench from the peghead end. My Fender copy uses a screw driver after taking the neck off. And my wishbass is the easiest to adjust (no trussrod :D )
  4. yep guys, 4mm did work.

thanks for your help.

take it easy