Truss rod in Fender Classic '50 / Road Worn / Vintera Precision basses

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by tusitala, Oct 31, 2021.

1. tusitala

tusitala

Nov 15, 2004
    Dear all,

I have 3 Precision Classic '50s and one Road Worn, all mexican and all from around 2009 /2012

I'm building a replacement neck for one, and want to put in the exact same truss-rod I have in the others as I found it stable and reliable over the years. It's probably a very simple and basic truss rod, but I don't know where to find one or how to make sure that what I buy is exactly the same. Can you help me out with the specs or with a link to what I should buy?

Thanks so much!
    Best!
    -t

2. vaesto

vaesto

Jun 21, 2010
    What happened to the neck you are building replacement for?

3. 1bassplayinfool

1bassplayinfool -Nowhere Man-

You might want to ask this question in the Luthier's Corner, lots of knowledgeable folks over there. Good luck with your project.

4. tusitala

tusitala

Nov 15, 2004
    I'm actually building another bass with a slightly smaller body but I want to build an identical neck

MynameisMe likes this.
  5. tusitala

tusitala

Nov 15, 2004
    thanks! I didn't know that, I just posted the same question over there too

6. vaesto

vaesto

Jun 21, 2010
    Then you don't need strictly the same TR, just any single-action TR with nut at butt-end.
    If it isn't started yet I'd consider getting original neck. Either from ebay (stratosphere) or Fender. They've got roasted mapple Vintera necks which look nice.

7. tusitala

tusitala

Nov 15, 2004
    Thanks but that's not what I want to do. They are incredibly expensive in my opinion, they only come with frets whilst I'm making a fretless one, and they come with holes for their traditional tuners but I already own a set of hipshot tuners with a smaller diameter that wouldn't fit there.

So is the truss rod a "single action" ? Could you recommend a good brand or link to where I could buy one?

Thanks!
    Best

8. vaesto

vaesto

Jun 21, 2010
    Yes, it is single action a.k.a compression truss rod. Though, I couldn't find a source for one to buy. Maybe someone from luthier corner will help with that.

9. tusitala

tusitala

Nov 15, 2004
  10. 1bassplayinfool

1bassplayinfool -Nowhere Man-

Hard to tell from those pictures and no real description of the truss rod. Contact the seller, maybe they can answer your question. Good luck.

11. vaesto

vaesto

Jun 21, 2010
    The TR from your link is dual action. Since the nut is in sleeve or welded to rod you can't replace it.
    The TR you're looking for is simple piece of hard metal with anchor on one end and nut on another.

Lownote38 likes this.