Truss rod in necks: Remove neck first with some basses!?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PhilMan99, Jun 9, 2005.

1. PhilMan99

Jul 18, 2003
    US, Maryland
    I've always had basses with truss-rod adjustments at the tuners - obviously no need to remove the neck.

When basses have truss-rod adjustments on the body end of the neck, do you have to remove the neck first?

At best, it seems like a "Royal Pain" :spit: to have truss-rod adjustments at the body end of the neck, but maybe I'm just mis-informed...
  2. With Fender ones, yes, Musicman, no. They have a spokewheel at the end which facilitates 'no neck removal' adjustment. Someone on here started a thread about a simple mod allowing Fender truss rods to be adjusted in this way too. Can't find that thread though, but here's the piece required:

Spokewheel mod thingy
  3. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Most basses with truss adjustment at the end of the neck are usually made by people with the presence of mind to have routed a channel for your truss rod. Fender MIJ does not, so the Geddy Lee Jazz Bass requires you to take off the neck for adjustments. I'd say the vast, vast majority of body-side truss adjustment basses are NOT the case, however.
  4. This little slot is a common and easily done modification on the Jazz and Precision basses. I just did it to Dave Siff's MIJ Precision and he loves it. It is completely hidden by the pickguard and only needs to be about 3/4" long. This way, only the pickguard needs to be removed for the neck adjustment.
  5. Crap, ive been considering a fender aerodyne, but that'll no doubt have the neck end adjustment

and doesnt have a pickguard, blah
  6. Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Only on old Fenders, or very religiously-accurate RIs.

New Fenders are fine. Even the reissues, such as the '51P, usually have historically-incorrect trussrod adjusting routs under the pickguards.

I like the nice Fender T-handle trussrod wrench, but I like the Music Man wheel even better. MM's instructions on using it are pretty funny, too. Tool? We don't need no stinkin' tool! Use a nail or something!
  7. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Eh? I thought the Geddy Lee allowed truss rod adjustments at the headstock.
  8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member