Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Truss rod issue...i searched first...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by 76Tbird, Feb 24, 2005.

1. 76Tbird

76Tbird

Mar 18, 2003
    OK, Bought a Warwick RockBass Corvette SE 4 string (i know, save the flames) about a year ago, and i'm having big problems keeping the neck/action in line.

We set it up, and it plays great for about a week or two, then the strings are way up again. I know its bad to keep adjusting the neck. I'm thinking the problem is that i run 5-string sets with the high string removed. i.e. too much tension. but i run these big strings because i tune to C# F# B E (# is the sharp symbol right?)

My guitar players dad is very experienced in setting up guitars and basses and he is kinda vexed as to what the problem is with it, and im worried that eventually i will run out of trussrod and ruin the neck. I really like the sound of the large strings with the low tuning, so im not sure what i should do. I beseech the gods of TB to help me... How can i get the neck to stabilize with my big strings?

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Playin with that string off is not smart. You are potentially warping your neck.

3. 76Tbird

76Tbird

Mar 18, 2003
    Sorry it wasnt clear, its a 4 string bass and i buy 5 string sets and throw away the smallest one...

4. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    It's really hard to say what the problem is, but could it be that the trussrod nut is backing out at all?

5. 76Tbird

76Tbird

Mar 18, 2003
    Thats what Jim the Tech is thinking...ive actually been letting the strings slack a little between practices and that has kept the neck in line pretty good for about the past month but im sure thats bad to do too... :meh:

6. I believe that there is too much tension...not from the fact that you are throwing a 5 string set away...but because you are taking a B string and going C# etc...

each string up 1 whole step adds a bit of tension...If you like that tuning, then I'd suggest finding a 5 string set with a very light gauge or a 4 string set with a heavy gauge.

Try 0.105 or 0.110 on the C# string...etc...

Happy experimenting!

7. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Ditto. Tuning up one whole step is going to put a lot of strain on a skinny neck like the one on a Warwick Rockbass.

Also, as Figjam notes, you might be twisting it too by throwing out the G string. If you go to D'Addario's website, for example, you'll see that the D string (E in your case) puts the most tension on a bass neck. Having it be one of the outside strings might not be such a good idea.

8. 76Tbird

76Tbird

Mar 18, 2003
    Okay great :cool: I had no idea certain strings were designed for a specific note..ill give it a shot.

9. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    I think Pilbara is on the right track here. If you downtune a heavy 4 string set, you'll be loosening the truss rod instead of overtightening it.

But finding the right strings could be tough because you're in between a 4-string set and a 5-string set. LaBella makes a set of HRS called M70 specifically for drop D tuning, you might want to try those. Or custom order something just a bit heavier. Try asking talkbass member "tappel" at http://www.bassguitarstrings.us, and good luck.

10. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Try a .050 - .110 4-string set at your tuning and you should be just fine. I've detuned a .100 E down to D. Taking a .110 down to C# should work quite well.