1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Truss rod issue on my ´77 Jazz

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Calif De Funk, Apr 29, 2006.

1. Calif De Funk

Calif De Funk Guest

Dec 15, 2004
    Sweden
    Hello,

As I stated above, I`v got a truss rod problem on my 1977 Fender Jazz Bass. The bullet wouldn`t turn clock wise anymore so I can`t adjust the neck which is bowed forward (that is when I have my bass on, in playing position). I even had to lower the bridge saddles almost all the way down to obtain some playable action. I know I could install a washer which I`v done once for some 8 years ago, but what worries me most is that the bullet is "sinking" down, or I should say it already is very deeply positioned, while other basses of same age show the bullet in almost the hole length of it!

I have owned this bass in 8 years now, and I had to stretch the neck at least 4 times by now. I know how to adjust the neck and the bass in general, but what puzzles me is how come the bullet has moved downwards so much (I got it this way for 8 years ago)? I even noticed that there might be place enough for maybe two more washers, so what do I do if later I need to add more washers while there wouldn`t be any space left for them?

Help me save my favorite bass.

Thanks in advance

2. Calif De Funk

Calif De Funk Guest

Dec 15, 2004
    Sweden
    Hello everybody

Yesterday I released the truss rod and put out the string tension. Today I checked the neck and it is straight with a half a millimeter space between the E string and the fifth fret when pressing the first and twelfth position, which seems to be a normal state. Initially I was worried about the "deep" position of the bullet with at least 3 cm difference deeper position in comparison to the same basses there you can see the hole bullet. While discussing this matter with a friend of mine, a bass player and pre CBS owner, he told me something which seemed to be an acceptable explanation; that among other quality drops during the `70, Fender did use truss rods which might differ in length. Simply, they used even the truss rods 3-4 cm shorter than normally, those ones they should throw, just because of the rush period. The idea of stretching the neck so much that the bullets position would "sink" with 3-4 cm seems a little unreal, because it takes a lot of turns to achieve that, and consequently, the neck would probably break. But the final answer will come when I`v installed a couple of washers and put the string and truss rod tension back again. I will let you know about it soon.

Regards

3. Calif De Funk

Calif De Funk Guest

Dec 15, 2004
    Sweden
    Hello folks,

Today I installed three more washers under the bullet and it worked perfect! I now have about ½ mm space between E string and the fifth fret when pressing the first and the twelfth position.

The only problem I ran into was the washers. I couldn`t find those with the needed outer diameter of 9 mm and inner diameter of 5,3 to 6 mm so I bought washers with 10 mm outer diameter and then I had to "work" them down to 9 mm and that was it. The job is done and my favorite bass is singing beautifully again... , and I am richer for an experience which I am glad to share with you.