Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Truss Rod Issue on Son's Bass

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by christle, Nov 16, 2003.

1. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    My son has a Jay Turser P copy (no comments on quality, he picked for his first bass because he liked the color :meh: ). The neck is bowed concave. I tried loosening the truss rod but there is absolutely no change. Over a period of one week I loosened it 1 full turn and the neck has still not changed one bit. Do I try to loosen it more? Anything else that I should try?

The warranty on this bass has expired so it is either repair it or replace it. As repairing it is not worth the cost I thought I would ask here first to see if there is anything more I should try with he truss rod before I have to get the little gaffer a new bass.

Dan :bassist:

2. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    Can you clarify on concave? Technically, that could be either direction in this case. ;) Are you talking about what's sometimes called "back bow"? [very] Crude diagram:

[headstock]____/--------------\____[body]

Those line are intended to represent the neck, and the brackets what's contained within. The slashes would indicate the direction of the bow in the neck towards it's extremities. It's ugly, but hopefully it will help clarify (at least for me) the direction you're indicating by concave (since technically, it's not just getting thicker or thinner in the middle :p).

3. is it bending towards the strings or away from them?

4. christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Actually it is the opposite from this. The neck is bowing away from the strings. At the 7th fret the action is almost 7/16 of an inch.

Yeah, yeah I get it :) . I used the definition from Mr. Gearhead. At least we got a standard to work from in my answer above. :)

Thanks,

Dan

5. dee rob

dee rob

Feb 3, 2003
    austin, tx
    If there is too much relief, you should tighten the truss rod, not loosen it.

dee

6. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    Well, now that we're clear on that, I do believe you'd want to tighten the truss rod, effectively stiffening/straightening the neck. If you get it straightened out but still not low enough (the saddles are quite low as well), look into shimming the neck. I've read some informative stuff on here about doing so. I'd link you, but I must be off to class...:meh:

7. christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Thanks guys. I will give this a shot when I get home tonight. He really likes his bass so it would be a shame to spoil it for him.

Thanks again everyone.

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yes you should definitely be tightening the truss rod - but you don't want to over-do it as you could snap it. Wood takes a bit of time to settle. so I did this with a bass by gradually tightening - maybe a quarter or a half turn each night and then seeing how the action was in the morning. When I first did it I didn't notice any difference, but after a while the wood moved and I was able to get it exactly how I wanted it.

The worry is that if you do it all in one go, you could damage the truss rod or just go too far the other way!!

9. christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Thank you for the excellent advice Bruce. I will definitely be careful. Quarter turns until rectified then.

10. christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Thanks Smash. I remembered that from last time. :)

Dan

11. pardon the ignorance, but what does that do?

12. christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Reduces the tension on the neck while you make the adjustment.

Dan

13. heh..i could've guessed that :D

14. christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Thanks to everyone for their help. I have started to see some improvement in the neck over the last couple of days. Still has a ways to go. I still think the neck is suspect because of how much it bowed in the first place (before my first adjustment), so I may be back with questions about shimming. I want to see how little relief I can get into the neck first.

Dan

15. christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I know that. I was concerned about the action and the angle of the neck as it sits in relation to the body. I guess I should have clarified that :) This is the first bass that has been hard to setup. I suspect that because it is poorly made is the reason I am having difficulties. My Fenders weren't this hard, nor did they bow as bady. Actually they rarely need adjustments.

Dan

16. Do you think the neck bow is beyond repair?

[​IMG]
    Treena

17. christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Hi Treena,

I am starting to wonder. Obviously it is just a $200 bass so even if it could be repaired it may not be worth the $$$. So I am going to try and see what I can do first. I have been thinking of trading off my Yamaha (for another Yamaha) so I may just give junior that bass instead.

It has taken 2 full turns of the rod to get it to change about a 1/4 inch. Still the neck is bowed too much to be playable, especially for a 10 year old. I will persist for a few more days and see what can be done.

Up until this point this bass was stored in a gig bag. My basses are stored in hardshell cases and I wonder if that makes a difference given the climate here in the northern prairie.

Dan

18. Wow, 2 full turns and so little movement, doesn't sound promising.:meh:

How long have you had the bass, seems John Turser company shoud have some kind of warranty, at least give you a new bass in exchange.

Let us know!

[​IMG]
    Treena