1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Truss rod Issue

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by jnslprd, Dec 30, 2017.

1. jnslprd

jnslprd

Jun 26, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Hello all.

I recently purchased a 2003 Lakland 44-94 from Guitar Center. I brought the bass to another local music store with a better service dept to go over the bass and do a set up and detailing. I got a call yesterday from the tech telling me they had a problem freeing up the truss rod and when it finally moved it looked like there was onlu a quarter turn left til it was at its limit. Having never had this happen before I asked what I should do and both techs recommended returning the bass as if it ever needed a large or series of small adjustments it would require a major job to be done on the neck.

My question is: Has anyone ever had this happen to them?
    Does it seem like the correct solution to return the bass?

I am using D'addario NYXL .45-.100 strings on this bass and tech told me if I was ever looking to use heavier strings this is when my problems might start.

I posted this in the Lakland thread but figured it didn't have to be a brand specific question.

Thanks in advance

2. saltydude

saltydude

Aug 15, 2011
    boston CANADA
    Due to the dry air (depending on where you are) the rod could very well be maxed out. This is probably the most extreme conditions you may encounter. Come spring or once this weather pattern lifts the neck and rod will be in a workable adjustment range. However if you need more now and can’t get it that’s obviously isn’t going to work. I’d return it if possible.

3. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Contact Lakland. They may replace it.

4. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    It is hard to comment specifically, but in general...

Lakland has an excellent reputation for customer service, even with instruments purchased used. They may be willing to help if it becomes necessary.

Sometimes, a washer or spacer can be added under the truss rod nut to give it a little more adjustment range.

Sometimes, lighter strings (such as you are already using) can make such problems irrelevant.

Sometimes, a bad neck is a bad neck.

5. Mechayoshi

Mechayoshi

Dec 7, 2015
    Tennessee
    I wouldn't be comfortable with that. Things can be done, but its not like you're trying to save a vintage a instrument or anything. Even if the set up is perfect now, it can shift and then what?

Since it's a recent buy, return.

ajkula66 likes this.
  6. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    ...minor detail, but I'm pretty sure the model produced in 2003 would have been called 4-94, not 44-94.

7. jnslprd

jnslprd

Jun 26, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    This is almost word for word what the tech said.

8. jnslprd

jnslprd

Jun 26, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Thanks everyone.
    Also thanks Mods for putting this in the right spot, didn't even think to post it here.

9. jnslprd

jnslprd

Jun 26, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    So unhappy because it is a beauty. IMG_20171208_002700 (1).

10. Just an FYI, GC has a pretty good return policy.

Did you buy on-line or in a store?
    On-line would have listed GC estimation of the bass' condition.
    They also define what they mean by each rating.

If they rated it higher than what it should have been, perhaps you can get them to make it right?
    I know this can be somewhat subjective, but if it is listed in MINT condition and the truss rod is maxed out, well it would seem you'd have a pretty good argument in your favor.
    My experience has been that GC is pretty good at responding to questions.
    I get answers back the next day, if not the same day.

If it's in the store, I usually check for it on-line as well to see how they rate the condition.
    For on-line purchases, you can email them and ask more detailed questions. Neck straight? Truss rod OK?
    That gives you further evidence of condition and maybe even some arguing points for compensation or price reduction for an in-store purchase.

Just a couple of thoughts for down the road.

11. jnslprd

jnslprd

Jun 26, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Thanks
    I'm pretty sure I have 45 days to return, so hopefully it doesn't become a war.

12. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    It's not a critical problem. It's really easy to add a spacer washer under the truss rod nut. If the tech at the store was any good he would have mentioned that. If you want to size up the real condition of the neck, take the strings off and completely loosen the truss rod. Then see how flat the neck is using a straightedge. If it's nearly flat you have no problem at all. Remove the truss rod nut, add a washer or two, re-intall the nut, string it up ad do a setup.

If however there is a serious up bow in the neck when the strings are off and the truss rod completely slack, you will need to straighten the neck before proceeding. That can get a bit pricey.

Geri O and RSBBass like this.
  13. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

that's always a crapshoot, IMO.

14. Turnaround

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    Not in my store!

15. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

ha! i believe you big guy! :thumbsup:

edit: clarity and homage

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
  16. jnslprd

jnslprd

Jun 26, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Tech is good, mentioned the washers but also said if it was his bass he wouldn't take the risk. Pretty sure he removed the neck and loosened it, problem was a forward bend from the 7th fret back to the nut with no tension.

Thanks any info is much appreciated.

JRA likes this.
  17. Turnaround

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Good to hear that he mentioned the use of a spacer washer. Some folks refer to it as the washer "trick". There's no trick about it - it's good common good practice. But one should also consider underlying issues.

18. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    A few disappointments with guitar techs early in my career gave me the incentive to learn to be my own tech. No other person can set up a bass for me as well as I can. Many times a tweak or two can bring out the best in an instrument.

I have used metal washers under the truss rod nut on Fender basses and never had a problem after that. I do not live in the North...I am in San Antonio where it is typically humid and I keep my instruments in a room with a humidifier in the Winter.

That is a beautiful bass. I would follow the advice above and remove the strings...loosen the truss rod nut and see if the neck has a lot of forward bow. If it does, I recommend returning it.

Good luck with resolving the issue with your Lakland.

19. jnslprd

jnslprd

Jun 26, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    thanks all

20. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    With how expensive Lakland instruments are, I would certainly think they'd use a dual acting truss rod. I guess not!