1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Truss rod issue

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Basshoofd, Mar 16, 2013.

1. Basshoofd

Basshoofd

Jan 14, 2009
    Netherlands
    I have a new bass that seems to have an issue with the truss rod. I can adjust the neck exactly the way I want it, which is almost perfectly straight. However, the neck then slowly starts to develop more relief untill it settles at a certain point. This takes a few days to a week.

The last few times I've adjusted the rod for a straight neck, it took more force then I wanted to use. Maybe it's maxed out, I don't know. But this didn't happen the first few months of owning this bass.

Any ideas what's going on and how to fix this?

2. skychief

skychief

Apr 27, 2011
    South Bay
    This guy shows some neat tricks for breathing new life into a dead truss rod. Its a 6 - string guitar, but the concept would be the same for a bass guitar.

I used the back-clamping trick and some washers to revive a failed J bass neck.

Hope this helps.

3. Basshoofd

Basshoofd

Jan 14, 2009
    Netherlands
    Thanks, I'll see if I can make this work!

4. Growly Lytes

Growly Lytes

Dec 4, 2009
    Downunder Oz
    Bass player
    It could maybe be the weather effecting it. Where abouts you are storing it could also have something to do with it.