1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Truss rod issues

Discussion in 'Warwick Basses' started by bongostealth, Jul 31, 2012.

1. bongostealth

bongostealth Supporting Member

Jun 3, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Hello,

I need some help with an issue. I have a Warwick Corvette 6 that I bought off of someone. I absolutely love Corvette 6s! However, the neck is a little bit warped. I took it to my tech to adjust the truss rod but he said it's too tight and was afraid to work on it. I would hate to have to get rid of the bass. What can I do? I live in Atlanta, GA. Is there a Warwick servicer around me? Perhaps I can replace the truss rod or get a new Corvette 6 neck??

Thanks!

2. WarwickOfficial

WarwickOfficial

May 15, 2012
    Warwick & Framus Social Media
    bongostealth,

Sorry to hear you're having issues! First I need to know what year the bass is? Truss rod's were removable through 1996. Basses newer than 1996 need to have some additional work done to replace the truss rod, but it can be done. The Warwick Custom Shop also offers neck replacement, which would require you to send the old neck to Germany, and a new neck (with matching serial number) will be sent as a replacement. I would be happy to assist you in any way possible. Thanks!

3. Means2nEnd

Means2nEnd Supporting Member

I have had 3 Warwicks with neck issues and I had three completely different methods used to fix them (permanently). I’ll get back to that but if indeed as mentioned by WO pre 96 had removable truss rods. There were two different ones but adjusting them is the same. You must turn a removable truss rod the opposite way to pull relief out. Modern permanent truss rods if looking from the end or top of the bass down the neck you turn them as usual righty tighty lefty loosey. So clockwise pulls the neck back and lessens the relief well with removable truss rods its opposite. This is counter intuitive and unless you know what you’re dealing with you would assume its maxed and you out of luck.

So that being said if it’s newer then there are some questions to ask. Is it just bowed in with action too high or is there any twisting? You said warped and that could mean a bunch of different things. I will assume you just mean bowed.

I had one neck twist and bow with a frozen truss rod. I had a professional luthier pull the brass frets and plane down the fingerboard. There wasn’t a terrible bow situation it was more of a twist. He replaced the brass frets with nickel and left it so with string tension it was perfect but with frozen truss rod it could change again so I moved it but this was $350 for the job and if the truss rod was ok I would have kept the bass.

I have another fretless neck through Thumb and it wasn’t twisted just a bad bow and I sent it Gary Brawer in San Francisco he “heat treated” the neck under pressure and made it perfect as well as some other work but it was less than $300.

Worse case was a double buck I had and the truss rod snapped. I had to go through my local Warwick dealer at the time and send it to Germany and they replaced it. This took almost two months and was $475 since I bought it used and it was out of warrantee. Warwick will not replace the neck unless they have the old one as they don’t want two necks floating around with the same serial number on it.

So if your neck just has bad bow it could be heat treated under pressure by a local professional luthier relatively inexpensively. Tyler at the Warwick custom shop has all the needed equipment to do it. He has done them before and is quite up to the challenge as I spoke with him on the phone directly talking about the same issue.

Good luck let us know what you do..

4. bongostealth

Jun 3, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    My Vette is a 2001. So therefore, I don't think it's a removable rod.

5. bongostealth

Jun 3, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    You're right. What I have is more of a bow. What happened is that I got it off of a seller on eBay. When I received it, I noticed it had really high action but at the same time the fretboard didn't look entirely flat around the nut area like all my other Warwicks. So I first started out by lowering the action on the saddles and adjusting the intonation. It helped but very little. I then lowered the entire bridge as much as I could and tried adjusting the nut height. (I think it's awesome that Warwicks can be adjusted so many ways!). Well, after all of that, I got some fairly normal low action from the nut on down to the 12th fret. However, from the entire B string is too high not matter what I do, and from the 12th fret on, I have a LOT of dead spots. This is because of the lower bridge. But it was the only way I could get somewhat lower action.

6. WarwickOfficial

WarwickOfficial

May 15, 2012
    Warwick & Framus Social Media
    Thanks for the detailed input Means2nEnd!

bongostealth, if you'd like to contact the NY Custom Shop, they can discuss different options. 212-777-6990 Please let me know if you have any questions or if I can assist in any way. Thanks!