Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Truss Rod Location for 1979/1980 Fender P

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by punchybass, Sep 4, 2005.

1. :help: I recently obtained a 1979/1980 Fender P bass. I love it, but the action is sooo high. I went to adjust the truss rod and noticed I can't adjust it at the headstock. Do I need to take the neck off to get to it?? I'm sorry for the stupid question!!

Please help!!!

2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Yup...like many an old fender, you have to take the neck off to reach the trussrod adjustment...

When I do my old fenders, I loosen the strings, flip it over, undo the bolts...carefully re-flip it while holding the neck joint, cant the neck out and adjust and re-bolt.

It may take a few tries to get it where you like it.

3. Oh boy! That sounds like a lot of fun :eek:

Maybe I'll take it to a professional so I don't screw it up.

Thanks for your help, I sincerely appreciate it!!!!!!

4. AGCurry

AGCurry

Jun 29, 2005
    Kansas City
    It's really not hard! Just make small adjustments each time until it's right.

5. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I agree. I was a bit leery when I started doing this, thinking that in removing the neck I might not get things back in the exact right place, but after doing this for a while, you definitely get used to it.

On any Fender that's not 30+ years old, you're going to have to get friendly with the trussrod...those necks tend to wander with the seasons and need tweaks from time to time.

6. What's done in a lot of cases and what Fender should have done in the production line is route a small groove in the body out the back of the neck pocket only as deep as the trussrod nut is on the neck. This shallow groove is then covered with the pickguard. This allows a TR wrench to be used on the neck after removing the pickguard but without taking the neck off. I did this modification to Dave Siff's MIJ Precision (and all of my own Fenders) and it makes the whole thing a lot easier. It isn't visible and it won't lower the value AND it will make life a whole lot easier on you and the hardware on your bass.

7. Thanks again for the replies!! BurningSkies I'm sure you're right about getting "intimate" with the Fender. I guess not knowing much about it makes me a little apprehensive. Maybe I'll get bold one night and give it a shot.

Hambone, interesting solution. You guys in this forum know your stuff and it helps me learn a lot. I might try it if I find myself making frequent adjustments.

Thanks so much guys!

Greg