Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Truss rod madness...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by SpankBass, Nov 17, 2002.

1. I'm having some problems with my defretted p-clone's neck. It looks like it needs a truss rod adjustment to straighten the neck, but when I attempted to adjust it it gave me way too much resistance. And I was taught that any resistance from the truss rod means your should STOP right there.

Are there other ways to straighten this neck?

2. You can CAREFULLY hold the bass between your knees and sock feet and brace your knee against the neck and gently push the neck in the direction you want while simultaneously tweaking the trussrod. You will be taking the pressure off of the rod and tightening it into place without having to move the neck with it.

If your trussrod doesn't want to move using this method, don't go any further, You may have bottomed out on the adjustment.

3. I sometimes squirt WD40 on the truss rod nut and wait a few hours, then try again. You're right, though, to not force it. If all it needs is a little lubrication, the WD40 drill works but if it still wouldn't budge, I'd seek professional help.

4. Gander

Gander

Jun 5, 2002
    Texas
    It's best to loosen the truss rod nut a bit first and then try to tighten it. The nut may be bottomed out(out of threads). If it is, you can normally remove the nut completely and add a shim washer, then reinstall the nut. When you reinstall the nut you can add a dab of grease to the threads. Good luck.