Truss rod maxed out!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Bassinga, Jun 1, 2021.

1. Bassinga

Bassinga

Apr 12, 2021
    Nicosia, Cyprus
    Hello everyone,

The truss rod on my Cort bass is maxed out. The relief on the neck is satisfactory but I'm limited on my string gauge because of the extra tension. My tech added a washer to the truss rod nut but he said that it didn't make much of a difference (he's quite experienced so I trust he did it correctly). Does anyone have any suggestions for possible solutions to increase the truss rod tension?

Thanks a bunch!

Zooberwerx likes this.
  2. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician - Retired
    I could be that the neck has a bow when there is no string tension and no truss rod tension. Asking the trussrod to compensate for a neck bow in addition to string tension is asking for it to do more than it was designed to do. Completely slack the strings and the truss rod and check to see that the neck is flat. If not it should be straightened before doing anything else.

Reedt2000, One Way and J_Bass like this.
  3. Bassinga

Bassinga

Apr 12, 2021
    Nicosia, Cyprus
    I know that the neck is not flat. Unfortunately the neck took a bow during shipping and the truss rod needed to be pushed all the way to compensate for it.

4. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody really notices
    Just put a new neck on it

MynameisMe likes this.
  5. vaesto

vaesto

Jun 21, 2010
    It isn't Fender. I doubt Cort makes the replacement necks for its basses.

Do you have an option to return the bass? If not then you need to straighten the neck - the best option is heat-straightening as warpedneck.com does (check the youtube for the DIY ideas if you want to attempt fixing it at home). The second is ... leave it as is if it doesn't bug you much and the neck is stable. You don't want to take the fingerboard off, plane the neck and re-glue fingerboard or even make a new one.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2021
  6. Bassinga

Bassinga

Apr 12, 2021
    Nicosia, Cyprus
    I emailed Cort about a replacement neck but they never got back to me. Buying a neck from Warmoth or having a custom one made is a bit too expensive for what is essentially a 600 Euro bass.
    It doesn't currently bug me but I would like to solve the problem If I can.

JeezyMcNuggles likes this.
  7. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody really notices
    You might just be able to get one. Or, look around for a used duplicate. Buy it, and pull the neck off it.

8. vaesto

vaesto

Jun 21, 2010
    Is it bolt-on or neck-through bass?

I did this to my Fender's problematic neck (thanks to wife's heated ironing board :)):

neck_1.jpg

neck_2.jpg

neck_3.jpg

It worked great for straightening so called ski-jump. But 80+ temperatures nearly melted the finish! Even some marks were pressed-in so I ended up with little polishing here and there...

ErikP.Bass likes this.
  9. Bassinga

Bassinga

Apr 12, 2021
    Nicosia, Cyprus
    It's a bolt-on neck thankfully which simplifies things. I'll speak to my tech about heat treating the neck and see whether he can do that.
    So you think there are no other solutions involving a different washer type or thickness?

10. vaesto

vaesto

Jun 21, 2010
    Truss Rod is not designed for fighting the string tension and neck bowing, you may over-force it and break the TR entirely. Also, I highly doubt it compressed the wood under the TR nut so much that you need a thicker washer to compensate it.

11. vaesto

vaesto

Jun 21, 2010
    Yes. It is the least invasive and cost-effective method. However, not as widely used by luthiers as it deserves.

12. you can try to apply the techniques used in this video

i tried these on 2 of my basses (a fender 1977 mustang bass and a yamaha bb viis) and both had successful neck arrangements

13. Bassinga

Bassinga

Apr 12, 2021
    Nicosia, Cyprus
    Thanks for the advice! Hopefully I can get this sorted

14. vaesto

vaesto

Jun 21, 2010
    Nope. Dave just adjusted the TR to straighten the neck which is not the case with Bassinga problem (out of TR adjustment). He also inserted a shim into neck pocket which changes the angle between body and neck and improves adjustability on the bridge by rising the action.

baconmpanada likes this.
  15. if i remember correctly Dave also suggested to loosen the trussrod first. at least on how i applied this on my bass, it allowed me to get a few additional tightening of the trussrod.

16. vaesto

vaesto

Jun 21, 2010
    This might give a hair more of adjustment, but won't solve the problem in general.
    What I'd suggest - is to help un-bend the neck by hands and then tighten the TR nut maybe even put second washer under it before this try. Also I'd check what exact problem the neck has - is it a gradual bowing or a kink in 13-15 fret area (a.k.a. ski-jump). There is a thread in Pro section regarding this.

96tbird and baconmpanada like this.
  17. Bassinga

Bassinga

Apr 12, 2021
    Nicosia, Cyprus
    I'll relay all this information to my tech and see what he says. Heat treatment seems to be the best option but I think we've got to tread with caution.

18. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    How much is that? I'm not quite convinced your tech went far enough. Before embracing other approaches, I'd remove the TR nut and add 1 or 2 addt'l washers of the appropriate size. Keep in mind that the washer has to gain purchase on the adjacent surfaces within the recess. Re-introduce the TR nut and tighten while manually flexing the neck backwards...we want to introduce an abnormal back-bow if possible. Re-string and tune-to-pitch...it will be tricky as the strings will be virtually sitting on the fretboard which means things worked. Gradually release the TR tension until the desired relief appears.

It's like chicken soup: there's a chance it may be ineffective but it certainly can't hurt.

Riis

96tbird likes this.