Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Truss Rod Maxed out?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Aaron, Sep 10, 2003.

1. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    On my mexi fretless jazz, with the seasonal change, there was quite a bit of bow (middle of neck farther from strings, than near nut & body, like a smilie face.) I did about 1/4 turn counterclockwise one day with slight improvements. And 1/4 day then next and it seems that a ton of slack in turning the truss rod came about. So i moved it back clockwise until where there was a bit more force needed to turn it.

Is it that my truss rod can't be turned anymore counterclockwise? Is there any way to fix it that isn't as expensive as buying a new neck?

2. erik II

erik II

Jul 11, 2000
    Oslo, Norway
    If the neck is concave ("smiling"), the truss rod should be turned clockwise. Turning it counterclockwise will loosen it further, and eventually the threads will slip off - which I think is what happened.

3. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    It straightened out a bit after i turned it... Let me try the other way...

4. erik II

erik II

Jul 11, 2000
    Oslo, Norway
    Placebo :D

5. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Tried clockwise and that straightened it out. Thanks for the help. I guess that makes sense because the tension from the strings would press the neck outward... I was thinking that the way you turn a truss rod was counterintuitive, but it isn't...

Well thanks.

6. erik II

erik II

Jul 11, 2000
    Oslo, Norway
    No problem - good it was nothing serious...