1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Truss Rod Need Adjusting?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by CameronF, May 1, 2010.

1. CameronF

CameronF

Oct 26, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    Ive never touched the truss rod in my bass but now I think I need to. I restrung my 4 string with 5 string strings. BEAD.

The B isnt spaghetti but its pretty darn loose. I think im loosing definition in the tone of the B string. Do I need to do somthing to the truss rod since there is less tension on the neck now? Any thoughts?

2. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Truss rods are for adjusting neck relief, not ammending string tension. IOW, if you never touched a truss rod, don't start now. Read the set-up stickies above. Probably be a good idea to take her to an experienced tech for a proper set-up.

Riis

3. kai_ski

kai_ski

Apr 14, 2007
    Wenatchee, WA
    more than likely you will need to adjust the bridge to correct the intonation for all of the strings. Is that what you mean by 'losing definition?' New strings and switching from EADG to BEAD will no doubt lead to intonation issues. By all means, read the setup stickies at the top of this forum, and try to make the adjustments yourself, but if/when you don't succeed it's probably time to take it to an experienced Luthier for a setup.

4. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    If you don't know whether you need to adjust the truss rod, how on earth will you know when you've adjusted it correctly? :rolleyes:

5. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Emeryville, Ca
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    This is a string gauge issue, that has nothing to do with the trussrod.

6. COBRARI

COBRARI

Apr 16, 2010
    Sacramento
    I am not a guitar/bass tech. Far from it. The two things I do know from adjusting truss rods are...
    1. It only takes a few degrees of turn to see results.
    2. I swear there is a delayed action in the neck once you
    tweak the truss rod. Like hours.

7. CameronF

CameronF

Oct 26, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    NO. My bass is set up perfect the way I like and intonated on the dot. The issue is not a string gauge issue... I have it set up with a normal gauge B string... The B string is just very spaghetti like. When I say it loses definition i'm talking about a muddy sound. All I want to know is what could help me get a little more tension. One of my friends suggested it could be a Truss Rod issue.... THATS why I ask.

8. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Well, tension can be a string gauge, type, brand, core wire, etc. issue. Are you asking if a little more tension will cure a "muddy sound"? Doubtful. Some of the hex core strings have a stiffer feel to them....or so I'm told. May want to check the drstrings.com website.

Riis

9. This is often just 'the way it is' with B strings. Some basses work well with one and others don't. Sorry, but I will be very surprised if you are able to 'fix' it.

10. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Emeryville, Ca
    I setup & repair guitars & basses

Your friend is wrong. If it's, "tension", it's the string gauge. Period.

11. You cannot change the tension on the existing string and still tune it to B. More tension means tightening the string, which tunes it to higher notes.

If you need more tension, you need different strings. Different types of strings do have slightly different tension when tuned to the correct note.