Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

truss rod NIGHTMARE!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by lo-end, Jul 23, 2001.

1. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    I was setting up the relief on my squier precision bass special and i just about had it right when... my truss rod ran out of room to turn. It was cranked to the max, and I still had too much relief. What do I do? Is there a way I can fix my neck or truss rod so I can still tighten the truss rod even though it is already all the way tightened??? HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By the way, I also have an Ibanez Gio someone gave me for free that has the same problem but much worse. You could fit a small gumball between the strings and fingerboard.

You gotta help me!!!

2. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    oh by the way... this might help

I turned the nut or whatever that thing is called that you stick the allen wrench into all at once (like a dufus) instead of a quarter turn a day... that may have something to do with the truss rod running out of space to turn. Is there a way to reverse this horrible phenomenon?

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I'd bet dollars to donuts you adjusted the neck while the strings were still under tension, (tuned).

Try this if you can;

Turn your truss rod in the opposite direction of the way you turned it previously. Turn it until it looks like it's back where it was. This will be time-consuming because you should do it in increments - give it a quarter turn or so, wait several hours, try another turn, (as long as you don't hear any "wood noises"), and so on.

When it looks about like it did before, better let it set overnight at least. Then, loosen your strings a great deal, totally floppy. Press the headstock downwards, the direction you want the neck to go. While you are pressing, turn the truss rod in 1/8th to 1/4 inch increments, (you may need someone else to press on the headstock).

By not fighting against the strings under tension, the truss rod can make a greater change in the relief.

4. RICKBASS:

Thank you so much for the info....it's valuable to me