Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Truss rod (NOT frets) buzzing

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by BartmanPDX, Jan 29, 2005.

1. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

My Ric 4003 has had a problem for a while where the truss rod vibrates (buzzes) inside the neck. This is different from fret buzz, which is a far more common problem that I'm not experiencing with this bass. Anybody know what I should do? It's really annoying to have this vibration in the neck, though it doesn't affect the sound through the amp much. Do I have a bent truss rod that needs replacement?

Anybody know someone in Portland, OR who can help me? Thanks.

2. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    I have a bass that might be having the same problem. I suspect what we *may* have to do is take off the adjustment nut and rethread the rod (screw it back in) into it's anchor at the heel of the neck. Then put the adjustment nut back on.

Maybe one of the setup pros can chime in on this one... it seems to be a fairly common problem.

3. are you sure its the TR? i've thought it was before and it turned out to be a dying string.

4. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I really don't think it's a "common" problem...are you sure it's the truss rod? What about the nut? Especially if you recently changed gague strings to smaller ones, you may have picked up the string vibrating in the nut. Does it make the same sound when fretted?
    I've honestly never heard of this happening. Before proceeding any further, unless you REAL comfortable with necks and attempting to fix things, I'd say have it looked at.

Ray

5. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

I am positive it is coming from inside the neck. Different frets produce different levels of buzz, (not fret buzz, 'cause I know what THAT sounds/feels like; I've dealt with fret buzz before), probably due to the rod being more prone to vibrate in response to certain frequencies. It's not the string vibrating in the nut.

One possibility is the connection between the top of the truss rod near the nut. On a Ric 4003, there are two truss rods, so it's possible one of them is loose on one end (though it doesn't FEEL loose :confused: on the other "adjustment" end near the 20th fret).

I'm thinking it's time to send it in to a pro. I stand a pretty good chance of screwing things up BIG TIME if I fool around too much. Also, the bass has ALWAYS had a grounding issue since the person who worked on the bass before I owned it (it was my first bass, I didn't know better) had installed (rather poorly) toggle phase switches for the pickups. It looks like Larry, Moe and Curly came out of retirement to set up the bass before I bought it in 1987, and it's never been the same since. :rolleyes:

Time to treat my Ric right and get a pro to fix it.

6. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    It's no big deal really. Assuming it is not broken or otherwise separated, you may be able to fix it in 30 seconds.

I have seen basses that have enough stiffness in the neck to get the relief exactly where you want it with no tension on the truss whatsoever. The rod is just sort of floating in there. Especially if you are using really low tension strings.

Often, you can tighten the trussrod enough that it doesn't buzz but still doesn't have enough tension to actually impact the relief.

Just take look at the rod nut. If it is fairly loose, tighten it until you feel it snug up. If it becomes a repeating problem, remove the rod nut and put a drop or two of locktight in it before you snug it up again.

7. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Actually, I've got a bit of this problem now (I think) because I lossened my truss rod...wanted to get rid of the fret buzz.

8. yeah, i think i have the same problem with you, if you knock the neck it will buzz, have you solve the problem yet???? :D , i want to know the solving too....
    but the neck is flat, i didnt loose the trussrod..