1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Truss Rod Nut - Sources?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by stingray69, Nov 24, 2018.

1. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    Hi All,

Does anyone know of a good place to find a 4mm truss rod nut?

External physical dimensions would be 8mm x 25mm (10/32 internal thread), with a 4mm interior allen wrench size adjustment.

I've checked StewMac and some other places, Google, etc., but all I seem to come up with are entire rod assemblies.

I just need the truss nut here - any thoughts, suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
  2. mech

mech Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2008
    Meridian, MS, USA
    I've bought them from Amazon. Don't have a link.

stingray69 likes this.
  3. stingray69

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    Truth be told, I've got one already on order from there, but the only Amazon Seller that seemed to have one is shipping (free) from another country.

It shipped a week ago, but the ETA suggests between Dec 11th and Jan 5th. Was hoping to get the needy instrument up & playing before that time frame & save the Amazon truss nut as a backup.

I don't mind waiting, just hoping to find a more local resource for future reference to avoid a month & half downtime going forward.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
  4. stingray69

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    I think this will work! According to Google search, a tap size for 10/32 NF would be a #21 bit which equals 5/32" (aka, 4mm).

I'll try to confirm with Ibanez tech support, even though they're the ones who told me the nut was tack welded on the rod and couldn't be removed at all. They told me nothing could be done & that I'd need to purchase a new neck. That fact that I unscrewed it clean off the truss rod with a 4mm hex wrench would suggest otherwise. :rollno:

Thanks again! :thumbsup::hyper:

Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
  5. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
  6. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    A truss rod nut is driven by a metric tool but has standard threads?

stingray69 likes this.
  7. sissy kathy

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Strange inn't?

fhm555 and stingray69 like this.
  8. stingray69

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    I guess keeping it simple is an outdated concept in this day & age?

fhm555 likes this.
  9. sissy kathy

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Ford and GM do the same thing. Change the heads to metric. Eventually they will have metric threads but it isn't cheap to change over the tool & die systems to metric.

stingray69 likes this.
  10. fhm555

Feb 16, 2011
    No doubt. I’ve been working on things helt together with fastners all my life and that’s the first i heard of a hybrid nut. Is that a production piece or something purpose built for a unique situation? Is it should be prepared for? My experience with truss rods has been limited to adjusting them in MIM and MIA Fenders and the occasional Ibanez and i doubt it will ever go beyond adjusting although it may widen in brands messed with.

11. stingray69

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    All I can say for sure is that it's a 4mm truss rod nut for an Ibanez bass. I believe they use 4mm on almost all their instrument models, SR, Talman, etc

I will try to confirm some information from Ibanez tech support tomorrow morning regard the internal TPI of the nut but I believe 10/32" is what I found somewhere online.

12. stingray69

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    If need be, I'll tap the correct thread myself if I have to. Just gotta confirm what the proper TPI is exactly.

13. stingray69

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    I suppose I could also take the existing nut down to a local hardware store and give it a spin on a 10/32 tpi-thread bolt (if I can find one).

Just to double check the fit - regardless of what tech support tells me.

mech, Haroldo and sissy kathy like this.
  14. fhm555

Feb 16, 2011
    My nephews 02 F150 has metric fasteners heads and threads.

stingray69 likes this.
  15. Haroldo

Haroldo Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2005
    North Shore, MA
    FWIW: 5/32" does not equal 4mm. (0.15625" N.E. 0.15748"). Pitch for 10-32 = 0.031250", Pitch for M4 = 0.7mm = 0.027559". None of this means, of course, that the truss rod nut can't have a 10-32 pitch and a 4mm hex head.

Here's a bullet shaped one: Fender® guitar 10-32 Chrome Bullet Truss Rod Nut

upload_2018-11-25_19-25-26.

(OD = 9.017mm, so it may be too fat)

Attached Files:

16. stingray69

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    I've got an Allparts truss nut headed my way (thanks again @Matt Liebenau).

Additionally, I called Ibanez tech support this morning and told the tech I was in need of a 4mm truss nut (or at least the internal thread count/TPI info) and again, they started into their mantra - "It's a dual action truss rod with a welded nut - it won't come off".

I told them I think their information was wrong (at least for a Talman TMB605 from 2016) - that it is not a dual direction rod (because there is no dead-zone in the middle, nor does the nut begin to get tighter when going fully counterclockwise). I told them the nut just gets continually looser & looser, until it comes off completely.

The tech said "impressive".

They're checking into it & seeing what they can do for me.

Darth-Vader-Impressive.

17. That is interesting. Let us know if the truss rod can hold the neck straight with the new nut. Ibanez tech support is correct, if it is a dual action rod the nut should not be able to come off.

18. stingray69

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    I don't think they're right on this one - perhaps this is a knee-jerk response that might be relevant to maybe SR models (idk), but I removed mine - (and not broken by force) and I've also read about a TB'er removing a nut from his Talman model (TMB100 I think it was) in a different thread as well.

In fact, it was recalling what I'd read on TB that gave me the notion to just see "what if", and sure enough, it just got looser & looser and eased right off the end of the truss rod - no muss, no fuss. Granted, maybe Ibanez switched to a dual-action, welded nut truss sometime after 2016, but mine is absolutely not dual action because of all the aforementioned reasons.

Earlier tonight, I also made a trip out to my local Ace Hardware and found a 10/32 bolt (32 tpi thread count) - the truss rod nut threads perfectly and effortlessly on it.

So it looks like both the All Parts (and the Amazon truss nut) will work out just fine! :hyper:

I'll be sure to follow up in this thread just to confirm.

Thanks again for all your help! :thumbsup:

20181126-191600.

Matt Liebenau and mech like this.
  19. Yep. Not a double action rod. Well, Ibanez is full of humans just like most other places on the planet.