1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Truss Rod Nut - Sources?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by stingray69, Nov 24, 2018.

1. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    I hear ya - I guess the frustrating part was being told it's an out-of-warranty repair and that I'd need a new neck ($450 parts & about $300 dollars or more in labor). That's more than the cost of just buying a new Talman 605.

I took what they told me at face-value for the first few days, and with nothing left to lose & everything to gain, I decided I was going to try & remove the truss rod myself. So I researched a ton of how-to videos & articles, ordered up a 24" Stewmac dual action, low-profile truss rod and decided I'd better do a test run on an old, stripped for parts beater bass I had laying around. It wasn't easy, but it was actually a success. The test-run fretboard actually came off pretty cleanly. But doing it on a much more expensive instrument (with bound fretboard) was still a nerve-wrecking proposition.

20181120-200307.

So...in the time I'm waiting for the StewMac truss rod to arrive, I happened to stumble across the thread where a TB'er mentioned he removed his Talman truss rod nut. Which led to the discovery that mine was removable as well.

I'm not mad at all - at least I gained a lot of valuable, 1st hand experience about removing a fretboard, some of the inner mechanics of a neck, how side-dot markers are installed, etc.

Had I unnecessarily attempted to pull a fretboard off a $600 dollar instrument over a $6 dollar user-replaceable part & some bad advice...that, I would have been a little mad about. :D

Oh well, I think this story will have a happy ending soon enough. I'll be returning the unused StewMac truss rod & the All Parts truss nut should be arriving tomorrow or the next.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
    mech and Matt Liebenau like this.
  2. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    I'd bet that somebody just grabbed the janitor and said, "Hey, answer the phone for a few minutes, wouldja? I gotta go do a thing..." And the poor guy felt he had to say something. Think about it; if the nut's tack welded to the truss rod, how are you going to move it at all?? I'd say that kinda defeats the whole purpose of an adjustable truss rod - wouldn't you..? :wideyed:

3. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    On a dual action rod, the nut itself isn't welded, it is trapped in something that is welded to the rod. That's why they aren't removable.

stingray69 likes this.
  4. stingray69

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    Well, my experience with dual action truss rods have always been the ones already installed inside a neck.

I've not physically held a dual action truss rod in my hands to see the mechanics behind the adjustment process, but yes - welded on truss nuts are a legit thing.

StewMac has some good close up pics on their website.

Here's a pic of one that isn't covered in plastic, rubber or obscured too much:

dual_action_tr400-z-z.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
  5. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    Well, I stand corrected; although, in my defense - if I read the post right, the one in question isn't a dual action one, so - apples vs oranges... I have no experience with dual acting truss rods - and from what I've read about them? Not sure I want any, either. The whole concept seems just...weird. Thanks, but no; I'll pass.:whistle:

6. sissy kathy

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Here's the sort I was speaking of; the nut gets screwed on one rod and the "C" is welded (or braised) to the other. You end up with a trapped nut that isn't removeable.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQwBKvuNiMzj6T2Vjs2bDM_n99SNTqPTtBCWDUxMy4qKGnwNUga.

stingray69 likes this.
  7. stingray69

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    Right - Ibanez' stance is that I have a dual-action, welded nut truss rod - and that the nut shouldn't be capable of being removed.

8. stingray69

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    I'm sure there are several iterations of the same general concept - although that's one I had not seen yet. :thumbsup:

9. sissy kathy

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    So now the 450 + 300 dollar question. Do you have a dual action rod that someone neglected to weld the nut on?

stingray69 likes this.
  10. stingray69

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    Not sure what that would mean in a real life scenario - maybe it would only adjust as a single rod would, tightening only in the clockwise direction (which it sure does), but if that's truly the case then at least one other TB'er has a similar situation as mine.

My money is on simple misinformation regarding the type of truss rod being employed in the relatively new Talman series.

It doesn't state what type of truss rod is being used on the Ibanez website either. I suppose I could try removing the nut from my other Talman (TMB105), but I am pretty much using it all the time - for practice at home, band practice tonight and again this weekend on a gig. Maybe when things settle down a bit.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
  11. stingray69

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    Well, the overseas (Amazon seller) truss nut arrived WAY ahead of the scheduled ETA - didn't see that one coming, but okay!

Took a couple of attempts to get it to grab hold & start threading onto the truss rod - and a whole bunch of little, quarter-turns to get it to start giving some tension on the rod.

But the new nut is installed and all is well - finally!

Much appreciation to everyone in the thread for your thoughts, advice & comments.

Back in business...

Ibanez-Talman-TMB-605-1.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
    mech likes this.
  12. Glad it worked out. Might have to get me one o them someday. I like how the Talmans look.

13. stingray69

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    Thanks - I'm glad to have it up & running again!

They are surprisingly great instruments - way more playability & tone than I would have expected for the price. The P/J tone is one I've fallen hard for in the past couple of years & all the Talman models deliver a beautiful P/J tone.

If you're out & about and haven't yet - these are sure worth giving a spin at the store.

The 105 model is made of Poplar body & is extremely easy on the back - I'd say very low 8lb range, the 605 model is a 1lb or two heavier, but also has the nice Ash body and the block inlays.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018