Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Truss rod odd behavior

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by gbf, May 5, 2005.

1. So... I hava an American Traditional Fender Jazz Bass '01 since 2002 I guess. It's is a hybrid between mexican hardware and american wood/construction; something in the ways of a Fender Highway 1 if it would be made today. I love that bass since it is the one that have been trough soooo much with me and the best thing I could afford then and probably now too. Every winter/summer that comes i have to set it up again. No problem until now right? uhmm WRONG! Every single set up I did i had to put more strength in the truss rod. Last week i realised due to really bad pain in my soulders and elbows (i went kart racing a few days ago) that it would be nice to have the action lowered a bit. So i grabbed my stuff and went to do that. The thing is that i just can't get action as low as it was when i first bought my bass. i remember having an very low action the first times I set it up and now i just can't get it to be that way. The first thing i thought is that every time i changed strings to new ones the truss rod kept doing the same strength it did with the old (and more loose) strings. Every time i turned the tuning pegs to get the strings in tune, the truss rod has to do more strength and so on 'til now.
    I was wondering what could i do to get the darn thing back in shape as it was before :bawl:
    Is my theory about the strings correct? If so, a new set of strings and a more loose truss rod would do the trick right?
    Another thing bothering me is that a friend of mine wants to buy the bass and if I won't be able to get the action as I liked I might just sell the bass to him and get another one.

After all that story I was wondering if any of you experts out there could give me a hand... :help: :confused: :help:

Thanks already,
    Gabriel

ps: sorry about any english mistakes, i'm from Brazil

2. ohh and i forgot to tell that i can get som pictures of the bass to help you out. thanks

Gabriel

3. I suggest you find a good tech and have them get it back into shape for you.

[​IMG]
    Treena