Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Truss-rod on a Fender Jazz

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Sound Guy Paul, Jun 22, 2002.

1. Alright, I have a newer (1996) Fender Jazz, which has the trussrod located in the body, rather then up at the head. I have always adjusted the truss, by simply inserting a portion of a hex rod into the hole, and turning. I recently read an article, that said this could be potentially very damaging to the area around the nut, and to properly adjust it, you should take the neck entirely off. Is this really necessary???

2. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    It usually is not necessary to remove the neck if you use a ball end allen wrench.

A regular allen wrench must go in straight but a ball end will work at an angle.

Ball end allen wrenches are available at auto supply stores.

Hope this helps.

Pkr2

3. the only way i can see it being damaging is if you chip or dent the wood around it with the allen key. it's under a pickguard anyway, right? so i wouldn't think it's that big a problem. they should have made the rout big enough to adjust it without removing the neck. actually, now that i think about it. that's really stupid. if you were supposed to take the neck off every time you wanted to adjust the truss rod, why would they even put the rout in to access the nut?

4. I have one of the truss rod adjustment tools and it is a bit uncomfortable but fine.

If anything, the pickguard will get damaged when you turn the nut. I know because my 1996 Fender Jazz was damaged this way by it's previous owner.