Truss rod on Mexican Jazz fiver (long-sorry)

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by budreau, Feb 15, 2005.

1. I did a search here on the subject, and found lots of good info. However there are a few questions I have that I'll throw out there and hope for enlightenment. I may be able to obtain a Mexican fender Jazz with a busted truss rod on the cheap.
    I understand that this is a repair that would cost more to have professionally done than the instrument will ever be worth. If I decide to dive into this project i figure I could either replace the neck entirely or attempt to fix the existing part.
    If I repalce the neck I don't want to spend $300-$500 on a nice one. does anyone have an opinion on the mighty mite necks?The price is definitely right.
    if I decide to attempt a repair, I figure the fretboard will have to come off. Once that's done, I'm not sure what to expect to find. Can anyone tell me about the construction of a Fender neck? Will I find an open channel containing the truss rod or will there be a maple plug glued into the slot covering the truss rod?
    Thanks for your time. Anything you can pass along will be appreciated.
  2. ArtisFallen

Jul 21, 2004
    In my opinion: you might want to try building one.
    depending on how you decide to build it, it doesn't cost nearly as much as buying a new one, it's not that difficult, and you can custom tailor it to whatever you want.

however, just straight out replacing the rod would be the cheapest, so look here for tips on taking the fretboard of, if indeed that's what you intend to do:

I've not tried this procedure, and obviously steam wont work on some types of glue, but it's worth a shot. good luck
  3. Gander

Jun 5, 2002
    I replaced the Fender truss rod in my MIM Fender with a double action truss rod from LMI and moved the adjustment to the body end of the neck. I removed the old truss rod and routed out the skunk stripe to install the new rod, installed a new skunk stripe and refinished the neck. You'll need a router and home made jig to cut out the old stripe. My neck was refinished with polyurethane which is available at your local hardware store.

Attached Files: