Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

truss rod placement question...

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by JSPguitars, Feb 15, 2006.

1. JSPguitars

JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    This is my first time using a StewMac 'hotrod' trussrod that has the spoke (wheel) on the end of it, and I have a question. My fingerboard is 24 frets, 34" scale length.
    I'd like to keep all 24 frets, however, I'm not sure I can, BECAUSE......
    If I mark clearance for the wheel where I want the fretboard to end, the other end of the trussrod (towards the nut) sits or starts about 2" away from the nut. Isn't that way too far? I was thinking I would want the truss rod to end/start about right in the middle between the nut and first fret, which is roughly 1".
    Am I missing something here?
    Or did I already answer my question and do I have to sacrifice some frets and make the fretboard shorter?
    :confused:

2. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    My 34" scale fretless has 24 positions and is using the hotrod. I'm no expert on the subject, but the truss seems to work just fine.

3. JSPguitars

JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    Did you use this style rod?

4. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    yeah, I used the spokenut rod.

5. i reckon you should put it in the neck

6. JSPguitars

JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    Roger that. :meh: Just thought I'd double-check before I reckon puttin' it in her.

7. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    I do it all the time. You are right it would be nice to have a bit longer truss rod. It is a great size for a 24 fret 32" scale neck though. The real trouble comes wehn you want to make a 30" scale neck. I have used the 18" truss rod before and that ends up with a lot of wood that isn't covered by the rod.......t