Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

truss rod problem

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Danne, Sep 9, 2004.

1. Danne

Danne

Sep 9, 2004
    I have a 78 P-bass with maple neck. When I tighten the screw the neck responds, but when I try to loosen the rod to get more relief, the neck doesn't change and the screw itself starts to move out of its cavity (a few millimeters). Whats wrong? (There's no strange sound when I tap and knock on the back of the neck, that would indicate the rod to be broken.)
    Any advice appreciated!

/DP :help:

2. Try loosening 1/4 turn at a time. You need to retune the strings and give it a few hours to "settle". If you need to go the other way, be sure to loosen the strings first, and go in small steps.

John

3. Danne

Danne

Sep 9, 2004
    Ok, but when I've done the same with other basses, their necks used to react almost immediately after releasing 1/4 of a turn. Question is why is the nut "moving out" of the cavity??

4. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    Material Memory.

Sometimes it takes a couple of days for a neck to 'relax.'

5. Danne

Danne

Sep 9, 2004
    OK, but can anybody say why the screw/nut is coming out when I turn counterclockwise? :confused: That's what I'm worried about.

6. Danne

Danne

Sep 9, 2004
    Eh...? Sorry, but I dont see what you mean. "Material memory" must refer to the the neck that needs a little time to get into the new position.
    But still, what's wrong with the screw , Imean if I continue to wind it counterclockwise, it'll fall out. Isn't it supposed to stay inside the necks heel?
    :eyebrow:

7. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    When in doubt, take it to the shop and have a Pro look at it.

8. I think, as someone said, the neck needs time to re-align itself. The new position you set by turning the adjusting screw will eventually seat properly when the neck decides it's time to move itself into the new position you set and will no longer be loose.

9. systemsdevelope

systemsdevelope smile and have coffee !

Sep 17, 2003
    The Center of the USA
    If a trussrod seems "maxed out" or has had extra washers put on it for maximum straigtening, can anything else be done? Or is the only option a new trussrod? If so can you name a luthier and guess it's cost?