truss rod problems

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by DeepDeath, Aug 11, 2001.

1. i open my truss rod cover for the first time today and there was no screw there was just this metal hexagon coming about 1/3 a inch out with no screw figure how am I post to change the relief with this also one of my saddels is missing a screw so i cant change the action how do fix this myself?
  2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

The metal hexagon is what you turn with a socket wrench, a Roadie Rench, or truss rod tool from the bass manufacturer. You place it over the end of the rod to turn the rod in 1/4 turn increments. Make one 1/4 turn, let the bass set overnight or several hours and see if another 1/4 turn is needed. The process repeats until it seems right to you.

It's tempting to turn more than a 1/4 turn, but I know of some people reporting they damaged their instrument when they did.

It's really important that whatever you use fits snug over the hexagon. Otherwise you will round off the edges/corners and I don't know what you do once you screw up the rod that way.

As for the saddle screw, a local music store with a repairman/tech/luthier should give a screw to you that will fit it. The components for bridge parts like screws are pretty standard sized. Using shims would be a pretty haywire way to go.