1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Truss rod problems

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by anonymous278347457, Apr 30, 2006.

1. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    I think ive got too much relief in my neck, so i tried adjusting the truss rod. however since i didnt get this bass new about 10 differant allen keys came with it from the ebay seller(he probably wasent sure which one i needed).

and about 4 of them seem the right size. ive measured them and they are all 5mm.

Ive done some research and it turns out that there are metric truss rods(5mm)and imperials 3/16". and through more research i found out that 3/16" is 4.7mm(i suck with imperial units :D)

so before i go and buy a 3/16" allen key, could there be any other problems such as a bad truss rod or something like that.

[​IMG]

Ive tried cleaning out the truss rod hole thing-no help
    Heres the best picture i could take,
    help would be appreciated

2. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I've found that the right size truss rod keys fit tightly in the socket with no wobble. If your 5 mm does that it's probably right. They're pretty cheap so it wouldn't hurt to have a 3/16" handy. You'll get a chance to use it some day.

What is the problem you are having adjusting the truss rod. Truss rod key too loose, too tight, adjustments don't do anything, etc?

3. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005

sorry i didnt mention this clearly in the post

basically i cant actually get the allen key to fit inside the slot and be able to turn it, im sure what the cause is, eg. stripped nut or wrong sized key

4. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Try the 3/16" key first. If that just slips then replace the nut. Do you think that the nut is maxed out? If so, then you'll have to use the washer under the nut trick or you'll strip the threads on the rod trying to force it.

Also, have someone put some downward pressure on the headstock while you turn it. That'll take some strain off the threads.

5. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    which nut are you refering to? the white strip that goes across the top of the fretboard?

or a nut inside that truss rod hole?

sorry im a noob to this stuff

6. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    The one in the truss rod hole. Not the one playing the bass.:)

7. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005

so how do i go about fitting a washer under the nut?

8. I have a MIM jazz also, the size of the hex key you need is indeed 3/16".

I tried out my 5mm wrench to see if it would fit, it will sorta feel like its gripping into the top giving the feel of fitting but it wont slide all the way to the bottom. You can see the nut is tapered where you slide it in the 5mm will only grip the corners at the top, not the walls of the hex area.

If you buy a new set of keys, avoid china at all costs, and try and buy a set with the size marked on the shaft, so you don't confuse them with metric ones.

First time I tried to adjust mine it was very tight. I loosened it all the way up, removed the nut and scraped all the crap off. There were lots of little crusty spots that looked like sawdust and glue all over the threads, shaft and base of the nut. I reckon they must slide in their nuts before the glue on the neck even dries.

I used a pipe cleaner and some wd-40 to clean the threads off, then I put it back on with a dab of grease on the threads and it worked easy after that.

Hope that helps.

9. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
  10. Yes, the nut is screwed right on to the truss rod, the end of the rod is threaded.

If it's easy to turn don't worry about taking it off. Mine was night and day in feel after I cleaned it off though.

And yeah the nut will look basically like that one in the picture except the end is straight, not bullet shaped.

11. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    ok, one more question :D

how can i tell the difference between when the nut is being screwed onto the rod and when the rod is actually turning?

12. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    If the nut is being screwed onto the rod it will easily thread its way down the rod and eventually snug up against the wood (or the washer, if you you use one or more.)

If the nut binds, that's a bad sign that you've not started it evenly and it's cross threaded itself on the rod. If the rod itself turns, then you have a serious problem with a broken rod.

My guess is that you simply need the right size allen key (and maybe a few washers to give yourself a bit more range of adjustment) and everything will go very smoothly. If you want to practice the procedure a bit, go to a hardware store and buy a nut, bolt and a washer and play with them to see how they work.

Don't get yourself all worked up about it. It's pretty easy.

13. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida