Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Truss rod question

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by wombolombo, Dec 2, 2003.

1. wombolombo

wombolombo

Nov 29, 2003
    Raleigh, NC
    I've had my Carvin LB70P for about 2 weeks now...a few days ago I replaced the 040-100 strings that came on it with 045-105s. I expected to have to tighten the truss rod a bit...but I can't seem to get the neck straight enough. I turn the truss rod a little bit at a time...it seems to straighten out right away, but then bows back after 8 - 12 hours. I had very little problem getting the neck comfortable with the original strings on it.

As background - I've been doing my own set-ups for a little over a year, so I've got some experience doing it. Historically, I like to have as close to .012" of relief as I can. The neck seems to keep settling back to .016 or so.

Obviously, I'm afraid to keep tightening the nut...

Thoughts

2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    If you just got the bass from CA a couple weeks ago, the wood is still likely adapting to the NC climate. The truss rod may also still be seating itself as you tighten it.

As long as you work in small increments and observe the changes as you go, there is no real danger in tightening the rod too tight as long as it moves freely. When I adjust a neck, I typically use my knees and a free hand to bend the neck a bit in the direction I want it to go and then turn the nut. This gives you a better feel for the truss nut and if it is bound, bottomed out or doing what it should. It also helps avoid unneeded stress on the rod threads.

If the threads bottom out and you still have too much relief, send it back to Carvin.

It is isn't uncommon for a new bass neck to take 6 months to a year for to settle. Longer if the wood is a little green.