1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Truss Rod Question

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Flatwoundround, Jun 21, 2014.

1. Flatwoundround

Flatwoundround

May 18, 2014
    Hi everyone,

I have an Ibanez SG 500 bass with Labella flatwounds with a Markbass 200 watt amp. Lately I have not been happy with the tone and thought maybe I need a new bass or new amp or a bass trap.

But last night I just wild and kept raising the action on the strings and I loved how it sounded. It was much clearer and had a more percussive punch to it which I loved (flatwounds were buzzing a little before and this really detracted from a good tone). Unfortunately all this was at the cost of sore fret hand forearm muscles and slower play.

So today I looked at the neck and concluded I could give it more bow and so gave a quarter turn on the truss rod. As a result I was able to lower the action some more and still retain the same great tone when the action was higher.

So my question is can I give the neck even more bow so I can lower the action some more and still retain the same fret buzz free great tone?

I am sure there is a limit to this but I believe my neck was too straight to begin with as I did a fret test that I saw on youtube (hold 1st fret and last fret and see how much clearance 12th fret has - looked pretty low to me).

Thanks in advance for any response.

2. Ibycan

Ibycan

May 24, 2014
    Alabama
    It sounds like you need to brings the pickups down as well

3. Jay2U

Jay2U Not as bad as he lóòks

Dec 7, 2010
    22 ft below sea level
    +1 And, if the neck bows too much, you'll have fret buzz if fretting at higher positions (6 and up). A clearance of 0.012" at the 8th fret is a good starting point.

4. JustForSport

JustForSport

Nov 17, 2011
    Really good info in the setup stickies-
    best to start with a methodical approach to this (unless you're lucky), then you'll know what you did and why you did it,
    also, the results, and will be able to diagnose issues later and be able to tweak your setup to your liking anytime.
    But fret-buzz and passive pickups too close to the strings will impede their performance (altho some like it that way).