Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

truss rod question

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Bill Brasky, Feb 17, 2001.

1. I got a stingray 5 string, and the truss rod adjustment is at the end of the neck by the body, under the strings. The basses I've had before all had it on the headstock, and I was wondering if there were any differences in how you adjust it. Correct me if I'm wrong: if the strings are too far off the fretboard, you want to tighten the rod, and you'd turn it clockwise? Is this true whether the adjustment is made up at the headstock or at the other end of the neck?

thanks

2. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Lefty Loosey, Righty Tighty... Just like when the adjustment is at the headstock. You are correct in your thinking!

-robert

3. It doesn't make a difference, upside down or downside up, the threads in the truss rod still go the same way. Righty-tighty,lefty,loosey.If your fingerbord looks like this (l from the side, (sorry for the crappy graphics) you want to tighten the truss rod. If it looks like this )l, or the strings are rattling against the frets because it it is too straight, you'll want to loosen it.Make sure it's a neck problem first, though. Your bridge may not be set up properly,and if you try to compensate
    by tightening the truss rod too much, guess what? POP! Stripped threads,twisted neck, god knows what else.