Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Truss Rod Question

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by tucker, Feb 23, 2001.

1. tucker

tucker Guest

Jan 21, 2001
    North Carolina
    HEY,
    I have a very important question. This kid, who is a bass player, said that he had his bass fixed up to sound professional. Now I know you can have your bass fixed up to sound good, but my question is the following.
    He said that he took out his truss rod so the neck is high or something like that. The strings were very low and he said that if you tap it ( a style I'm learning how to play now ) it will sound without even picking it. It will sound as if you were picking it though. I was wondering if this can be done. I don't want to try it cause it'll mess up my bass or I don't know if it will but I was just curious. I've heard him play and he sounds pretty good and so does the bass. I don't know though.

2. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I think if you take out your truss rod it will be very difficult to do any tapping, unless you're talking about dancing.

3. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Its way the opposite.
    You have to adjust your truss rod properly, to set the neck the flattest possible, and then set the action low.
    For a lower action and better tapping playing, I recommend you take your bass to a luthier for fret leveling and professional setup.

4. tucker

tucker Guest

Jan 21, 2001
    North Carolina
    I was planning on taking it to a pro because I don't want to mess anything up. But I was just very curious to see if this really works. Thanx for the advice, suggestions, etc.

5. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    if you take out the truss rod your bass will look like a banana.

check this site out to learn about doing setups:

http://www.mrgearhead.net

It's Fender's site but most of the setup tips apply to all basses.

6. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    If I were you I wouldn't take any advice from this guy. He hasn't got a clue what he's talking about.Although, if you take out the truss rod you could buy some arrows have a useful purpose for what used to be a bass.

7. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

tucker - He didn't take his "truss rod out" (I HOPE!).

What the others said about the banana and the arrows is that the truss rod is what keeps your strings from bending your neck into, virtually, a banana shape or an archery bow. When tuned to pitch, bass strings put a tremendous amount of force/stress on the neck.

If you want to see how your strings really work, put your bass between you and your TV and pick/pluck a string while turning the light switch/lamp on and off very fast. Sounds stupid, but you'll appreciate just how much a string does not flex evenly along its length. The middle tends to go way in/out rellative to the rest of the string.

Because of this, you need some kind of bow in the neck and that is what your truss rod does. It can correct too much back bow, like this shape ( ,or, too much forward bow ) .

The ideal thing, IMO, would be to take it to a music store have a pro do it and ask if you can be there to see how they do it. Even if you can't, at least you'll find out what a proper set up is like. Afterwards, you can look around for information on how to adjust the truss rod yourself.

8. tucker

tucker Guest

Jan 21, 2001
    North Carolina
    Well I didn't take my truss rod out so don't worry about it. I do understand that the truss rod helps keep the neck straihgt and thats very important. But next week I'm taking it to a pro and I'm going to have it look at and see if he/she can do anything to it. and what is ---> IMO?

9. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    IMO = In my opinion

10. and IMHO = In my humble opinion, for that matter.