Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

truss rod question

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by JSPguitars, Jul 27, 2004.

1. JSPguitars

JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    I have a quick truss rod question.
    I put a 2-way adjustable rod from LMII in my bass, with the metal bar facing upwards (underneath the fretboard). I turned it a bit to the right (clockwise), which as I understand it is the correct way to counter relief caused by string tension.
    However , after stringing it up, there still seems to be a lot of bow in the fretboard when looking at the fretboard straight down. Should I loosen the strings and slowly keep trying to turn it, or should I try turning it counter-clockwise??
    Just trying to get my bearings straight here before I screw everything up completely.
    The strings are kinda high off the fretboard with the saddles of the bridge all the way down, probly gonna have to make a jig for bridge so that I can sink it into the body a bit.

2. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    your neck may not be stable enough : / just a thought

3. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    what did you use for the neck woods.

4. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Then, the relief, of bow, is a different matter. That is controlled by the truss rod, and is highly affected by the string pull. That is, with more string tension you need to compress the truss rod more.
    As I understand, you inserted the truss rod with the fixed bar close to the fingerboard and the adjustable in the bottom of the groove. Then clockwise turning will give more counterforce to the strings.

So what you do, is tune the bass up, and wait for a day. Then you turn the truss nut 90 degrees clokwise, to straighten the neck, and wait another day. Repeat, 'til the neck is as flat as you like it.

And, re. the bridge height:
    It's quite common to put the bridge too high, thus making it impossible to get a low action. So I guess countersinking the bridge may be a good idea.